Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #1

Boxster Rear Suspension Problems

Hiya!

Would love some advice, if anyone has experience of this.

I recently experienced a problem with my Boxster where the car would lurch, especially when you take your foot off the throttle. We put the car on a ramp and the LHS rear wheel had some play in it. We narrowed it down to a Track Control Arm, part number 997-331-045-04. Replaced it, and she drove perfectly once again.

6 weeks later the problem has come back and my mechanic is closed for the 3 weeks. Is it possible that the same TCA has worn out so quickly? Or possibly another part has worn? Seems really weird. Love to her any ideas on this.

Regards,

John

johnappleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #2

Interesting, so I got the wheel off and there is definitely play in the ball joint end of the new TCA. Guessing it is a faulty TCA? Or badly fitted? Or...
Old 09-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #3

So it turns out, once I got the wheel off, that the TCA wasn't tightened correctly at the wheel end. Pretty annoyed with my mechanic but hey.

I put some red thread lock on the inside of the bolt and re-tightened her. Is this the right thing to do? There wasn't a washer but the diagrams I can see of this part don't show one.

She drives great again at least :-)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #4

This is just my opinion, but I would never put red Loctite on any bolt that I wanted to get out again. It is more or less a permanent installation at that point. You would have to heat the bolt to around 350º F to get it out the next time. Isn't the blue version the one to use if you want to get the bolt out again?
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 09-05-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
This is just my opinion, but I would never put red Loctite on any bolt that I wanted to get out again. It is more or less a permanent installation at that point. You would have to heat the bolt to around 350º F to get it out the next time. Isn't the blue version the one to use if you want to get the bolt out again?
More like 482º F

Loctite Threadlocker Red 271 Directions from Loctite Adhesives
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #6

Garage
Looks like you're right there Spinnaker blue is the one.

'Designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools.'

Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 from Loctite Adhesives
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Red thread lock can be dealt with - its all a matter of "leverage". After all, its just glue, not a weld.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #8

Garage
The saying I learned is "Red is forever, blue is for a long, long time".

Re: being peeved at your mechanic ... that's why I do 99% of my own work. I *know* that I am paying attention to what I'm doing, not thinking about getting off work.
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #9

Well assuming I fitted it right, at least it won't come off!

Will bear that in mind for next time; the instructions on the Blue packet I had said not suitable for major car components - more for vibrations of non-structural.

Hear what you say about the mechanic point; but we don't have a garage so I have to do anything in the parking lot, which isn't convenient.

Tags
boxster , rear suspension , track control arm