Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #1

Car not starting

I am getting 11.3 voltage on my battery and my car is not rolling over. It's a 2000S with about 110k miles. Basically when I tried to start it this morning, it would try to roll over as if there was enough battery power (it wasn't just going dead and hearing a click), but instead of rolling over, the instrument cluster keeps flashing (all of the circled indicators) almost as if in sync with the starter and even the turn signal lights go on as if the emergency lights are activated). Also the windows are going up and down with but only while I'm trying to start the car. I can't tell if it's electrical or the starter or a combination thereof. Please help me diagnose this? I have multimeters, tools, etc... Thanks in advance.

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5 View Post
I am getting 11.3 voltage on my battery and my car is not rolling over. It's a 2000S with about 110k miles. Basically when I tried to start it this morning, it would try to roll over as if there was enough battery power (it wasn't just going dead and hearing a click), but instead of rolling over, the instrument cluster keeps flashing (all of the circled indicators) almost as if in sync with the starter and even the turn signal lights go on as if the emergency lights are activated). Also the windows are going up and down with but only while I'm trying to start the car. I can't tell if it's electrical or the starter or a combination thereof. Please help me diagnose this? I have multimeters, tools, etc... Thanks in advance.
Those are some pretty trippy symptoms...

I would get a battery charger on the battery first and foremost.
It could be the battery has a bad cell and can't support the amp draw of the starter..
What does the voltage drop to when you try to start the car..?

Battery 1st
Old 09-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #3

[QUOTE=Viper5;304501]I am getting 11.3 voltage on my battery and my car is not rolling over. It's a 2000S with about 110k miles.

if you google "lead acid battery voltage versus charge", couple of sites state that at 12.6V fully charged, 11.5V unloaded is 0% charge. So if you're at 11.3V, your battery maybe very good, i.e. no dead cell, but has no charge.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #4

I took it to autozone for a full charge. Works fine now. Still some pretty strange symptoms.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #5

Could you jump the car? If so, that may be indicative of a battery going bad. If you're unable to jump it and keep it running then it would point more to a bad alternator,or something in the battery harness, unless the battery is completely fried.
I picked up a nice car charger I got from Walmart that gives you a good indication if your battery is going bad, cost me about $50. It's also good if your car sits idle for a couple months for repairs or weather to charge up the battery a bit.

Last edited by Skrapmot; 09-03-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5 View Post
I took it to autozone for a full charge. Works fine now. Still some pretty strange symptoms.
Battery is likely going bad. Will probably happen again sometime soon.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #7

Viper, you have the exact symptoms I have. I just purchased a new battery today, and I predict you will be doing the same very shortly.
Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #8

my wife's X5 developed similar behavior. one day after three drive-park-start, the car failed to start. not even a click-click from the solenoid. battery replaced, checked charging voltage (as at 13,6V and climbing) so I felt that the battery was the problem. next day, the same scenario. this time, the alternator was not charging.
found that the brushes were worn down, making contact now and then. replaced the alternator, charging voltage at 14.3V and all is well.

with the new battery installed I would recommend that you examine the charging voltage is somewhere in the 14.4V range.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #9

Try this.

Amazon.com: Equus 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor: Automotive

mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote