Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #1

How to Replace Windshield Washer Fluid?

Can't seem to google how to top up your windshield washer fluid on an 02 boxster

Anyone know how or have a link to a guide?

Thanks

FirstPorscheAt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #2

Open the bonnet, open the washer fluid container, pour the fluid in. The washer container lid is blue. There ain't much more to it than that.
Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:15 AM   #3

Wow. This is a new low.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #4

I can't imagine why nothing came up on Google. I would have thought that this kind of difficult issue would have given rise to numerous threads, how-to videos, etc. Wait a minute, now something WILL come up on Google!

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #5

I had the same problem in my 2001 Boxter S.

Then I noticed the puddle under the car forming as I poured.

Turns out that when I pulled back the left side wheel well plastic liner to expose the washer fluid bottle, the plastic pickup tube had become detached and drained as I filled the washer fluid reservoir.

Solution was to reconnect the hose and use a hose clamp to prevent a recurrence.

Check for a puddle forming as you fill, if so, check the washer bottle connections behind the left front wheel well liner on the bulkhead side.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 08-29-2012 at 06:25 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #6

You will also need to put gas in it at some point. Please feel free to post back if you require instruction with that too.

You may find that much of this information you need to operate the car has been carefully hidden inside the owner's manual and you will have to search diligently for it, possibly even using the index and table of contents.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #7

Can't we all just get along?
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #8

Did you read his logon...FirstPorscheAt18. Which I had a Porsche at 18. Ok, go to Pelican Parts and get Wayne's book on the Boxster. Just a good thing to have handy. Enjoy it...and diffentially a girl getter.:dance:

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
I think a few people need to go feel some sunshine and give the kid a break. No harm in asking questions even if they seem silly to us. I hope he comes back here and hasn't been run off...
Old 08-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #10

Garage
At least he was asking first....................

Some people did not and filled the coolant up with washer fluid ;-)

Idiot? I think I just put washer fluid in the coolant container?
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #11

I keep my washer fluids empty, and pick up about 1 HP.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #12

Garage
We need to give the kid a break, we all started somewhere and I am certainly no expert. I am amazed at some of the simple questions that my kids ask (23, 22 and 17) that I think are just common knowledge. Also, many of these cars don't come with the manual. Soooooo, yes, it's better to ask than make an expensive mistake.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #13

Garage
My $0.02, I was 18 when I bought my first Porsche. A lifetime dream realized & I learned a lot in the 14 years I owned it & there was no internet so good advice was hard to come by. Give the guy a break, he wants to do what's good for him & keep enjoying his dream by not making a mistake that could turn out not so good. Most of the members here have at least a fair amount of expertise & knowledge. So we, as Porsche owners, owe it to encourage the feeling of owning & driving what for me is the finest sports car made even if the questions seem basic knowledge.
Sorry to sound like I'm ranting here, but let's encourage the enjoyment of these fabulous cars!!
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:20 AM   #14

How do you know it is even a guy? Sure my first thought was, "you're kidding right?" but then I thought at that age if aren't exposed to cars all the time you don't know. I bet if you too a sample of appliance car drives if they know how to add washer fluid., especially young ones (not The Young Ones), you would be floored how few know what to do.

Chris
Old 08-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #15
jakesbox

If I need windshield fluid...I pull over, get out of the car, take the bottle and pour it over the windshield, get back in and drive away...

Just kidding, I dont pull over first...

Keep the questions coming. I learned a long time ago on this site that there are going to be good answers and people just having fun. No harm in asking.
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #16

Normally I would agree that newbies should get cut some slack, but let's have a look at this one for a moment. Check out the previous posts by the OP.

The OP has had the car for nearly a year and has made 19 posts to date. Most of the posts are complaining about the problems with the car, particularly the expense of maintaining it. Comments about wanting to sell the car are frequent.

Each time there has been a problem he comes here wanting quick easy answers without putting any time into researching the problem himself, or even doing a search of the forum to see if the problem has been previously addressed. Only once has he even bothered to acknowledge the help and advice that has been offered.

He wants to look into things like mods, hacks, painting calipers, LED tail lights... but can't figure out how to put washer fluid in the car. Seriously? After 10 months of ownership?

What we have here is a lazy, immature, whiner that never should have purchased a car like this in the first place. He has contributed nothing whatsoever of value to the forum. So, if he is put off by these responses and doesn't come back, then I really don't see this as any kind of loss. I hope he sells the car to someone who will deserve and appreciate it.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #17

Oh no Mark T, you're being neither nice or "politically correct"!

PS - I completely agree with you.

Simple things to do when on forums like:

Try your best to figure it out yourself, if you're still stuck then "search" on the various forums, if still stuck then ask for advice/help detailing EXACTLY what your problem is (not saying something along the lines of my car makes a noise of some sort, what do you think it is?)
Seek to find the desired info BEFORE asking to be "spoon fed" the answers
Always acknowledge helpful advice
Always let others know what you found to be the cure to your problem so it helps the community
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #18

Garage
i've got a 20 inch washer bottle.... chromed too .

2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #19

So in short for anyone who somehow googled this, just open the front trunk. It's right there. Blue lid.

Lol, I honestly agree with all of your criticisms. I'm a bit naive and buying the car initially was done in a rash and immature manner. I literally decided I'd go buy a Porsche one day and did it.

I regret not researching possible issues earlier on. This car has more problems than I can count, and it's been a headache. I still love driving it, but it's like a high maintenance super model girlfriend. Honestly... really tough to handle.

I'll probably keep it through my college years and then go for something more practical. But until then...

And what Mark T said was totally accurate. I should know how to do this already. I just thought that it'd be way more complicated than I thought, and never noticed the reservoir there because I never use the front trunk.

Should have used common sense though...

Last edited by FirstPorscheAt18; 09-05-2012 at 03:11 PM.
FirstPorscheAt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #20
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
...and some should have used tact with you on your question. The only dumb question is the one not asked. Please do no be afraid to ask other questions in the future and remember this is "just the internet" not real life. Real life is your car in the garage, friends you hang out with and the future you are making for yourself with school.

Please...don't be hard on yourself at all over this.