Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2005, 08:10 PM   #1

Update on my mom's crashed boxster

As some of you may know, my mother's boxster (her 60th b-day present) was crashed into after only 24 hours of ownership. (She was sitting at a stop sign and another guy crossing the intersection got t-boned and then crashed into my mom's car).

Well the insurance estimate is approx $10,000 damage. ugh. New front bumper cover, radiator, fender, hood, headlight, wheel and damage to the rear fender + basically painting 3/4 of the car. We won't get the car back until the end of October.

The only good thing so far, I went to the bodyshop and asked them about changing front bumper covers since they were going to order a new one anyway. The guy was very nice and pulled out his thick book of porsche parts, GT3 bumper was ruled out right away, boxster S bumper was too expensive but I got him to give us a 911 Carrera 996 bumper to put on. It's not super special but it's a little different than all the other boxsters running around here. Anyone have any other suggestions? Install and paint is still weeks away so I have time to change the bumper if I want.

FASTBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:26 PM   #2

Love my GT3 nose

Although at $900 (before paint) my GT3 nose was little expensive but in your case compared to the rest of the "bill" it is probably minor. The GT3 nose does add to your downforce besides looking way cool. I know others have gone with the turbo noses and that looks pretty cool too.

Sorry to hear about your mom's troubles...so new and so quick to the body shop.

Here's a link to my post on my conversion with pics: Rothsport Conversion
De-Ambered
...and lots more.
PDXBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:29 AM   #3

Just before i bought my boxster the prev. owner had the right headlight replaced total w/ labor was $483, at a dealership of course. Anyway if I were having to replace both headlights, I'd just come up w/ the extra money and go w/ litronic conversion. Many boxster owners have this upgrade done eventually anyways. Another thought, if it were me there's no way I would allow them to only paint 3/4 of the car. The insurance company would have to pay for a full paint job. There's absolutely no way the paint will completely match. Maybe in some light it will appear to match but to a trained eye it would be visible. I'd negotiate a bit w/ them to see if they would do that to satisfy you guys at least. I can only imagine the sorrow your mom is feeling. Being teased w/ 24hours of boxster only to have it taken away. OUCH!!!