Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #1

Fine water droplets on windshield

I have been noticing a very fine water droplets hitting my windshield now and then.

They form peculiar ^ (Inverted V) shapes on the windshield and evaporate fairly quickly.

At first I thought the car ahead of me used his wipers but did not see wiper activity.

Then I thought perhaps some left over water from my weekly car washing but I could not find any water anywhere.

The water temp gauge reads normal at just a hair over 180 F.

I checked the coolant tank in the trunk and the level looks normal and does not seem to be dropping.

The coolant cap was pressurized when I slowly opened it so I figured if anything was going to have a hole in it, it would leak coolant but I could not find any dripping anywhere.

I can't even imagine how coolant from the radiators and hoses could end up on my windshield while going 60mph as I would think it would all get sucked down below the car.

I have on a few occasions blipped the wiper spray instead of the cruise control but I made sure that was not happening during these events.

Is it possible that the wind over the wipers is sucking wiper fluid out of the tank?

Its the only thing I can think of that could be causing this.

I'm thinking I could completely drain the wiper fluid to eliminate that possibility.

Any suggestions?

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #2

A Thought

Why not put a piece of tape over the washer jets and go for a ride?
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #3

Garage
I've had the same thing happening I believe it's coming off the A/C - condensate - it only happens when it's hot and around 50 to 60 MPH.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnewell View Post
I've had the same thing happening I believe it's coming off the A/C - condensate - it only happens when it's hot and around 50 to 60 MPH.
That makes sense and may explain the inverted V shapes of water landing on my windshield. Did not look like normal droplets of water at all.

My first impression of them was that it was snow, but I dismissed that idea since its California (Im Canadian so I know snow) and in the 90's but sure enough the AC was on.

I did not remember that the AC plumbing is in that area in front of the windshield.

I'll have to keep an eye on it to verify.

Thanks for that input.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman View Post
Why not put a piece of tape over the washer jets and go for a ride?
Faster than emptying the washer fluid no doubt.

Good point! 60 mph Duct Tape time...uuuuummmm.....better make that 80, I dont think I can drive only 60.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #6

Garage
I know it's ahead of schedule but we have been getting some precipitation lately!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I know it's ahead of schedule but we have been getting some precipitation lately!
Haaa, it was extreme clear yesterday when I notice the ^ appearing on my windshield. I even looked to see if any roadside sprinklers might be on......nope!

So far the AC snow makes the most sense as I have never seen water form a tiny ^ on a windshield except for on a dry cold day with tiny ice particles drifting in the wind in Canada.

Perhaps I was pulling more G's than I thought!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #8

Garage
The A/C drips by the right front wheel well , I think at certain highway speeds the
condensate hits the tire and gets spun up then carried back . It could also come from A/C of other cars ahead of you.

( this is the best theory I can come up with )
Old 08-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnewell View Post
The A/C drips by the right front wheel well , I think at certain highway speeds the
condensate hits the tire and gets spun up then carried back . It could also come from A/C of other cars ahead of you.

( this is the best theory I can come up with )
I don't even think its the water that is dripping but rather ice that has formed on the AC condenser and plumbing that is coming off and landing on my windshield and melting instantly.

Pieces like the bottom section have been landing on my windshield mostly on the right hand side and either wet down for a few seconds or evaporate on contact immediately...bizarre!

Wish I had a smoke test at 60mph in a wind tunnel so I can see how the airflow is circulating around the vehicle.
Anyone know of any Boxster wind tunnel research?

Time to put my GoPro to use on the slomo setting.

Last edited by jb92563; 08-23-2012 at 03:02 PM.