Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #1

Garage
981 Boxster S Badge installed on 986

I've been going back and forth with this. The car looks real good without any badges. I almost left it that way but I decided to add the updated badge and see how I like it. Not a big deal to pull it off later if I want the clean no badge look.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Chrome looks nice..

The lower left corner of the letter B was broken when I purchased the car... The PO tried to super glue it back and left the residue on the paint..
I purchased the black replacement, and opted not to put it on.
Thinking the same might happen to the new one..
Ended up putting the chrome PORSCHE on from the Panamera..
Name:  IMG_0264.jpg
Views: 4182
Size:  25.6 KB
Old 08-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #3

Garage
I also have a '00S. I think I like it. The 'B' on the boxster of my emblem has a bent up corner. How much and where did you get this??

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #4

Most of the original 986 badges have some discoloration. I think putting a new badge on is an improvement. It makes no difference to me if it's the 981 or the 986 style.

I'd be concerned if your car wasn't an "S" or if the badge said something like "Spyder". But what you have there looks just fine to me.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #5

Garage
Here is a pic next to the original badge. It's hard to see in the picture but the tips of the B, r and S are worn through to black and I also didn't think the silver color complimented anything else on the car. I'm glad people are being supportive I really liked the look of the updated badge when I saw it on the new cars.

I bought them at the local dealer. I don't have the receipt with me but I think it was about $44 for Boxster and another $35 for the S

Old 08-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
Chrome looks nice..
Attachment 16484
I like this. I was never a fan of the script font on any Porsche.

I thought about putting the same over my 986 S badge (s in red, rest in grey). It might be too much info on the trunk but along with LED tailights it might be a good update. Most people think I'm pulling their leg when I tell them my car is 12.5 years old. But the 997 turbo wheels and PORSCHE door decals do give it a very current look.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #7

Looks nice.

Mine has just the "S". Its lonely and has "Boxster" envy but at the same time thinks its Superman

Ugh can't believe they charged you $35 for just an "S" at the stealership. I hope you got some coffee and donuts with that "S" and maybe breakfast or lunch as well.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #8

Garage
My trunk script was discolored on the edges when I got the car. I cut it off with dental floss and rattle canned with an automotive silver.
I really think the smaller size looks better. Colors a thumbs up too
gerber28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #9
Homeboy981

Garage
I got BOTH bigger badges, the "Boxtser" and the "S" - I didn't know the were sold separately. Leave it to dealers to increase their profits! I went to the dealer for that little plastic odometer reset knob and it was $21!!!

I got my badge off ebay and it was $52 for BOTH. Sorry.

Now that you are "marked" make sure to represent. Ahh, you don't have an S? What are you gonna do when someone asks to race? They are gonna think the Box S is a pushover.

My wife had her brother put "650" on the side of a Yammy 125, didn't make it go faster and few were fooled. But the bigger logos look far better IMHO.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #10
DIY extremist

I look forward to getting a legit "Turbo" script for when I take the TPC plunge....
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
Rennzenn

Garage
I've done so much to my car I decided it was a different model:
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Kaili <3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagdisco03 View Post
Here is a pic next to the original badge. It's hard to see in the picture but the tips of the B, r and S are worn through to black and I also didn't think the silver color complimented anything else on the car. I'm glad people are being supportive I really liked the look of the updated badge when I saw it on the new cars.

I bought them at the local dealer. I don't have the receipt with me but I think it was about $44 for Boxster and another $35 for the S

It matches the wheels, if you had silver wheels... just saying accessories should either complement the shoes or match them.

Silly men don't even know they are doing fashion matching when it relates to cars

Also new badge looks good
shadowprincess25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #13

This is exactly what I have been planning to do to my rather heavily modified 986S. I have been looking for capital "RS" letters, and found a couple of places in the UK that sell them. Where did you get your "rS"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
I've done so much to my car I decided it was a different model:

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
It matches the wheels, if you had silver wheels... just saying accessories should either complement the shoes or match them.

Silly men don't even know they are doing fashion matching when it relates to cars
true, but then again i'm not too fussed on matching collar and cuffs either.

NB: i'm kinda liking the small trunk badge, i've had to replace mine a couple of times, the top and bottom of the 'B' tips tend to get caught on polishing cloths lift up and then break off
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to ryanwise
This is what I did. Bought the "Turbo S" from Ebay and painted the S red with Krylon plastic paint.
ryanwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Homeboy981

Garage
My Girl's Shoes Match Her Tramp Stamp

With Chrome rims…

and a Chrome Tramp Stamp…

(a few more accessories - before they were put on)

she is ready to dance!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
Kaili <3

Garage
Is there a way to take the emblem off without hurting it? Mine is need of a new coat of paint and I'd rather paint it OFF the car.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #18

dagdisco03,

LOVE the color of your car.
keysguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #19

The best way to remove the logo's is with dental floss - just use a gentle sawing motion with the floss under the emblem and off it comes.
Just remember to degrease the area before re sticking back on, which could be a problem if you have big fingers !!!
I chose to replace the emblem(s) with new - just peel off the protective membrane and stick down - no messing with glue, which if dropped on to your paint can cause an etching problem.....
Old 08-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #20
Kaili <3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
The best way to remove the logo's is with dental floss - just use a gentle sawing motion with the floss under the emblem and off it comes.
Just remember to degrease the area before re sticking back on, which could be a problem if you have big fingers !!!
I chose to replace the emblem(s) with new - just peel off the protective membrane and stick down - no messing with glue, which if dropped on to your paint can cause an etching problem.....
I like this, sounds pretty easy to take off then. I have to think about what I want to do with it, thanks for the advice!