Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
Kaili <3

Garage
Leather Cleaning\wheel polish advice

My boxster has leather seats which I love but I don't like when they feel dirty and old. How can I clean them up and remove residual dirt that might be lingering on them from the years the car has been operational. Also the steering wheel has leather and I'd like to clean that good because it makes me hands feel really dirty after driving.

I have heard of using soap and water and of various other products while owning my camaro but since it was so new I only skimmed those topics. What have you guys found that works that also doesn't need to be special ordered. I'd liek to pick it up local if possible.

Lastly, does anyone have any wisdom to share on wheel polish? I love shiny wheels and I'd like to make them look newish again. I did scrub them down last week during my car wash but some times there is just that stubborn grease that is hard to get off in the wheel well.

Thanks <3

shadowprincess25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #2

Garage
For leather I have had good luck cleaning first with soapy water and then applying Leather CPR.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #3

How To Articles - Car Care Specialties
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Kaili <3

Garage
Thanks for the guide link. Very useful stuff in there, reading it on my lunch break
Old 08-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Ex Esso kid

Lexol cleaner & conditioner
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #6

Garage
it depends on how badly marked up they are.

a good leather repholstery shop can do wonders for seats and you can actually do the work yourself if too.

if they are badly cracked the leather will need to have a filler applied then sanded back colour sprayed and then treated it can literally turn old worn out seat to looking like new.

this runs you through the process here: Car Interiors Leather Repair & Restoration

the bolsters on my sports seats have the usual scuff marks on them, but last week, literally i purchased some coloured leather balm here: Leather Re-Colouring Balm

worked it into the bolsters and wear areas, and hell... it's come up amazingly well !

i'm sure you'll get equivalent products in the US of A.. you have literally everything there (and often cheaper too)
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK

Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 08-21-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #7

If I might jump in with a related problem of my own... My seat have picked up these sweat stains, at least that's what I think they are. I have tried a few things but without success. Any suggestions?

Old 08-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Ex Esso kid

Mark, my uncle and grandfather were shoemakers. I'd try lexol first but my uncle once told me a little white vinegar is good to dissolve a salt stain (winter shoe stains) which is essentially what a sweat stain would be, only use a tiny bit if you do it.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #9

I just wipe the leather with a barely damp strong paper towel, (blue mechanics paper towels) repeat with a new paper towel until the paper towel comes back clean, then just treat with Lexol. Less is more.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
My seat have picked up these sweat stains, at least that's what I think they are. I have tried a few things but without success. Any suggestions?
deodorant ?

seriously though, the coloured leather balm like in the earlier link above should work.
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #11

Leatherique. I used Leather CPR on my 15 yr old tans seats which helped a bit, but then I picked up the cleaner and rejuvenator Leatherique kit off Amazon and it pulled out so much dirt off my seats they looked 2 shades lighter! It even cleaned out the light scratches so they're less noticeable. The leather itself is noticeably softer also.
I have Lexol too which I use on maintaince cleanups, but doesn't compare in my experience.

Last edited by Skrapmot; 08-21-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
deodorant ?
Great, now everyone's a freakin' comedian....

I've tried Passier Lederbalsam and it didn't help much, which kinda surprised me actually, so I'll give the vinegar a shot and then follow it up if necessary with the colored balm.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited by Mark_T; 08-21-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
Kaili <3

Garage
Haha, my seats are actually in great shape, I just have never cleaned leather seats in my life. I'll try soap and water to clean and get a conditioner from the store this weekend after I take my car to the wash.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowprincess25 View Post
Haha, my seats are actually in great shape, I just have never cleaned leather seats in my life. I'll try soap and water to clean and get a conditioner from the store this weekend after I take my car to the wash.
NOOOO Unless you are specifically using saddle soap, just buy the lexol kit with cleaner & preservative, it will last a long time and it's well worth it.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
Kaili <3

Garage
Woah there, Okay Ghostrider, I'll go pick up the lexol kit this week
Old 08-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Woah there, Okay Ghostrider, I'll go pick up the lexol kit this week
Hey you want to scrub em up with some Irish Spring and a loofa knock yourself out, you're not going to like the result.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
Kaili <3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Hey you want to scrub em up with some Irish Spring and a loofa knock yourself out, you're not going to like the result.
Well I'd use Dove just like me, but I guess it's a different hide
Old 08-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #18
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Well I'd use Dove just like me, but I guess it's a different hide

For your sake I hope so! 25 is a bit young to have your skin referred to as "leathery", Irish Spring was just for effect I don't use that either but Dove would ruin leather too.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
My boxster has leather seats which I love but I don't like when they feel dirty and old. How can I clean them up and remove residual dirt that might be lingering on them from the years the car has been operational. Also the steering wheel has leather and I'd like to clean that good because it makes me hands feel really dirty after driving.

I have heard of using soap and water and of various other products while owning my camaro but since it was so new I only skimmed those topics. What have you guys found that works that also doesn't need to be special ordered. I'd liek to pick it up local if possible.

Lastly, does anyone have any wisdom to share on wheel polish? I love shiny wheels and I'd like to make them look newish again. I did scrub them down last week during my car wash but some times there is just that stubborn grease that is hard to get off in the wheel well.

Thanks <3
Try some P21S on the wheels. the stuff works great!
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #20
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrapmot View Post
Leatherique. I used Leather CPR on my 15 yr old tans seats which helped a bit, but then I picked up the cleaner and rejuvenator Leatherique kit off Amazon and it pulled out so much dirt off my seats they looked 2 shades lighter! It even cleaned out the light scratches so they're less noticeable. The leather itself is noticeably softer also.
I have Lexol too which I use on maintaince cleanups, but doesn't compare in my experience.
+1 ...fantastic stuff.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote