Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #1

Car cover and tailpipe

Just started using my custom car cover that fits so well that the skirt hugs the rear bumper just above the tailpipe. As a result the elastic edge of the cover is pressing against the upper rear of the muffler and the top of the tailpipe. The muffler is pretty hot after my drive to work and it would be a shame to see the whole thing go up in flames. Folding it up away from the tailpipe seems to work but it doesn't take much to slip back down.

Anyone else run into this and find their car incinerated after a hards days work?!

teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Ex Esso kid

How about an ove glove of equivalent to slip over the pipes before you finish putting the cover on? I have a woodstove glove which would be overkill but it would never catch fire from this application.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #3

Hmm, good idea. But that might generate more derision from my colleagues than I could stand.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
Ex Esso kid

Be who you want to be and to hell with what people think. No matter what you do you will never gain everyone's approval, better than an annual burn & replace. Besides I'll bet waxing burnt polymer off the chrome tips would be a PIA

If you want it to be slicker, get a glove or equivalent item and sew a protection panel onto the cover, that material won't scratch anything.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 08-20-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleski View Post
Just started using my custom car cover that fits so well that the skirt hugs the rear bumper just above the tailpipe. As a result the elastic edge of the cover is pressing against the upper rear of the muffler and the top of the tailpipe. The muffler is pretty hot after my drive to work and it would be a shame to see the whole thing go up in flames. Folding it up away from the tailpipe seems to work but it doesn't take much to slip back down.

Anyone else run into this and find their car incinerated after a hards days work?!
I don't think you will go up in flames, but there is a risk on leaving a melted gooey mess on the tailpipe and muffler. Don't ask me how I know this. And it is a chore to clean it off afterward.
I hook my "new" cover over the top of the bumperettes to keep it from slipping down onto the tailpipe/muffler area when they are hot. After they cool down, you can move the cover down where it belongs.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
I don't think you will go up in flames, but there is a risk on leaving a melted gooey mess on the tailpipe and muffler. Don't ask me how I know this. And it is a chore to clean it off afterward.
I hook my "new" cover over the top of the bumperettes to keep it from slipping down onto the tailpipe/muffler area when they are hot. After they cool down, you can move the cover down where it belongs.
+1
I melted 2 car covers on the tailpipe. Most Boxster owners figure it out the first time but I am kind of a slow learner.