Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #1

Garage
Can someone tell me how to test the fuel pressure

I have searched and searched and havnt found anything on HOW to test the fuel pressure. I should hear back on the results sometime soon from the "bad" fuel I might have possibly got a few days ago. In the meantime, I have checked the fuel relay with a multimeter and it seems to be fine. Now I just need some info on how to test the fuel pressure before i pull the fuel pump out. Thanks guys!!

986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #2

Fuel pressure and delivery rates are tested by connecting an appropriate gauge to the port (items #6-7 in the diagram) on the fuel rail. Engine off pressure 3.8 +/- 0.2 bar; engine idling 3.3 +/- 0.2 bar.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 08-14-2012 at 12:51 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #3

Garage
You attach the fuel pressure gauge to the schrader valve on the fuel rail. There should be a brass cap covering it & the cap should be replaced with a new 1 afterwards.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #4

I have a pressure gauge installed in the console and it reads 60-63 psi at idle. Not sure if that is ok but wanted to give you a point of reference from someone who views their pressure often.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #5

Garage
went ahead and replace the fuel level sending unit, because the pressure regulator was malfunctioning. The plastic clips that are supposed to hold it firmly into place had
broken off. The car runs so much better now, even the idle and startups are like a brand new
car.

Thanks for the replies.

986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote