Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #1

Starting or Fuel Problem

i have a 2001 2.7lt boxster that when i go to start it just winds over without firing. if i leave the ignition on for a minute or so it will fire up most times straight away, even though it does make a bit of a cough first. when it is running it is fine and there are no problems.

dmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccormick View Post
i have a 2001 2.7lt boxster that when i go to start it just winds over without firing. if i leave the ignition on for a minute or so it will fire up most times straight away, even though it does make a bit of a cough first. when it is running it is fine and there are no problems.
Almost sounds like a lack of fuel pressure, leaving the key on allows it to build up pressure.
Fuel filter dirty, fuel pump..?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:47 AM   #3

It seems the problem is the fuel pressure.
raizaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #4

thanks... i have not played mechanic before with the car, so is the filter something i can change easily or am i looking at removing lots of stuff to get to it ??
dmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #5

I am having a similar issue albeit not as extreme as a minute (have to hold key for 3-5 seconds sometimes to get the engine to turn over) I know this is a problem with the fuel pressure because I have a fuel pressure gauge that sometimes shows 0 psi and that's when it takes the longest to start. Might be the fuel pump causing this as I just had my fuel filter, fuel pump relay and fuel pressure regulator changed recently.

coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote