Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #1

Fog lights as DRL mod - DIY help!

I'm trying to do this "Fog lights as DRL" mod from the DIY forum:

Anti-Bling Porsche Boxster DIY's

According to the author, I need to tap fuse "A7" with the purple relay shown in the picture below,

Anti-bling:

However my relay arrangement seems to be different to the picture in anti-bling's blog,

Mine:
Purple replay missing.

I suspect this might be due to model differences between Australia and the U.S. However. Australian spec Boxster should be the same as Europe (or ROW?), is this correct?

- How do I find out which relay of my Australian model 986 is equivalent to the purple relay of the U.S. model?

Appreciate any help

Last edited by panameras; 08-05-2012 at 12:20 PM.
panameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

If all you want to do is to use the fog lights as DRL's, then follow this simple procedure:

Required Materials:

(10) inches of 16 gauge insulated wire

(2) Fuse taps, Radio Shack P/N 270-1204

(2) female Quick Disconnectors, Radio Shack P/N 64-3131

Procedure:

1. Strip the wire ends and crimp on the Quick Disconnects.

2. Plug in a fuse tap to each of the Quick Disconnects.

3. Locate the Fog light relay in the panel above the Fuse panel. It is #12, the far left relay in the second row from the bottom.

4. Attach one of the fuse taps to pin 86 of the relay. Bend the tap to conform to the bottom of the relay. Use a piece of electrical tape to hold the wire to the side of the relay.

5. Return the relay to position #12 and run the other end of the wire to the top of the fuse panel.

6. Remove the Fog light fuse, 25 Amp, #7 (top row, 4th position from the right) from the fuse panel. Slip the fuse tap on the wire end to the upper leg of the fuse.

7. Return the fuse with the tap up into position #7.

You're done.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #3

Garage
Can you explain the resulting behavior:
Will the fogs illuminate at full brightness?
Will the fogs come on when the ignition is on--regardless of the switch position?
Will the fogs remain on when that side's turn signal is flashing?
Will the fogs remain on when the headlights are on?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
If all you want to do is to use the fog lights as DRL's, then follow this simple procedure:

Required Materials:

(10) inches of 16 gauge insulated wire

(2) Fuse taps, Radio Shack P/N 270-1204

(2) female Quick Disconnectors, Radio Shack P/N 64-3131

Procedure:

1. Strip the wire ends and crimp on the Quick Disconnects.

2. Plug in a fuse tap to each of the Quick Disconnects.

3. Locate the Fog light relay in the panel above the Fuse panel. It is #12, the far left relay in the second row from the bottom.

4. Attach one of the fuse taps to pin 86 of the relay. Bend the tap to conform to the bottom of the relay. Use a piece of electrical tape to hold the wire to the side of the relay.

5. Return the relay to position #12 and run the other end of the wire to the top of the fuse panel.

6. Remove the Fog light fuse, 25 Amp, #7 (top row, 4th position from the right) from the fuse panel. Slip the fuse tap on the wire end to the upper leg of the fuse.

7. Return the fuse with the tap up into position #7.

You're done.
Thanks for the post. I found the thread from ppbb you are referring to:Daylight Running Lights using Fog Lights - repost, tx Rich in CT

My problem (as posted in the OP) is that relay #12 is missing in my Australian spec Boxster. It's the empty socket to the left of the pink/white relay in the picture, see:

Anyone has any ideas?
Old 08-06-2012, 04:11 AM   #5

sorry to ask so late, but im having the exact same problem on my UK boxster

i have tried all sorts of routes but i cant find any kind of connector or such in the fuses, relays or even at the back of the switch

anyone have a solution? it seems euro cars also dont have that purple relay 12

any help would be fantastic

thanks
icet2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #6

I've done this mod in the US and it works well. I wish I had answers for the non-US car guys.

However, I have replaced my bulbs with bluish looking LED units that fit well and don't look too bad, but are nowhere near the intensity of the modern LEDs that we see on today's 2012 models of most high end cars. I'd love to replace mine with something really white and brighter.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by icet2k3 View Post
sorry to ask so late, but im having the exact same problem on my UK boxster

i have tried all sorts of routes but i cant find any kind of connector or such in the fuses, relays or even at the back of the switch

anyone have a solution? it seems euro cars also dont have that purple relay 12

any help would be fantastic

thanks
Good to know I'm not alone on this . Is there a good UK based Boxster discussion forum that we can try our luck?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam View Post
I've done this mod in the US and it works well. I wish I had answers for the non-US car guys.

However, I have replaced my bulbs with bluish looking LED units that fit well and don't look too bad, but are nowhere near the intensity of the modern LEDs that we see on today's 2012 models of most high end cars. I'd love to replace mine with something really white and brighter.

Any suggestions?
vleds has some high output LED bulbs, 6K WHITE 11W LED DRL/FOG BULBS H7 | 1 PAIR although I have not tried this particular H7 version.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.oneufer View Post
Can you explain the resulting behavior:
Will the fogs illuminate at full brightness?
Will the fogs come on when the ignition is on--regardless of the switch position?
Will the fogs remain on when that side's turn signal is flashing?
Will the fogs remain on when the headlights are on?
Here is a quote from the above link:
"be aware that the fog lights will always be on and:
- when you turn the key on the fog lights will come on, prior to cranking the engine. This can be your new battery level indicator; if the fog lights dim much when you crank, then your battery needs charging.
- when you turn on your low beams the fog lights will still be on, so you have both your low beams and fog lights on.
- it is very easy to remove
- easy enough to add a switch to be able to turn on/off this new MOD"
Old 08-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #10

panameras is correct. But be warned that the halogen fogs are 55w, I believe. Those lights were designed to use at night or on a foggy day. Having them on in scorching heat and sun will likely cook your light covers. So, LEDs should be substituted.

That can look good....very "in" today, but I have not had great success finding the right bulb. What I have looks bluish and is minimal light compared to the original halogens. panameras also suggested some replacement LED bulbs, but at $47 per pair I need to be sure that they are pure white and not bluish before buying. So, I'll wait for more comments.

Overall, the whole project is a great idea. The car needs these. These cars are just to easy to miss in traffic and driving lights are helpful.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #11
Homeboy981

Garage
Excuse me…
I have LEDs on order for the whole car, except headlights & fogs, but what I need to know is…..

How many 25W (or 50W) 6 ohm load resistors do I need?

I smoked my front corners and turn signals and need a bright bulb to be able to see them in the daylight. I am doing the turn signals front & rear, brake lights & running lights and, of course, backup lights. Has someone covered this ground before?

Thanks sorry to go off-topic but I figured someone reading this would know.

Carry on.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #12

So does anyone know the fog relay location of non-US Boxster?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Do your fog lights come on with the switch? I'm a little confused about this one. I found a site that lists the relays and, of course, it lists #12 as the fog light relay, but specifically says "USA/Japan".

I'm wondering if non US 986's even have functional fog lights? If not, it may be as simple as inserting the proper relay into socket 12. If yours do work, I'm stumped.
That site absolutely did not list a non US fog light relay, but did list #6 and #7 as daytime running lamps.

Can you confirm that your fog lights work?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Do your fog lights come on with the switch? I'm a little confused about this one. I found a site that lists the relays and, of course, it lists #12 as the fog light relay, but specifically says "USA/Japan".

I'm wondering if non US 986's even have functional fog lights? If not, it may be as simple as inserting the proper relay into socket 12. If yours do work, I'm stumped.
That site absolutely did not list a non US fog light relay, but did list #6 and #7 as daytime running lamps.

Can you confirm that your fog lights work?
Yep fog lights work just like every other 986s in the world, by pulling out the light switch one click.

LEDs already installed just need to find that relay!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
There is another mod to make the headlights work as drl by jumping a fuse...maybe you could do this with the fog lights? Just thinking out loud.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #16

Quote:
There is another mod to make the headlights work as drl by jumping a fuse...maybe you could do this with the fog lights? Just thinking out loud.
What do you mean by jumping a fuse? (Sorry I don't know much about car electrics, but good at following DIYs).
Old 08-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #17

Just found out from renntech that RoW cars have fog lights that can be turned on anytime (with parking/city lights, without the headlights) whereas US, Canada, and Japan laws require them to only be used with the headlights.

Didn't know there was this difference in how fog lights operate.

So #12 is the fog cutoff relay which ROW 986s don't have. Any ideas on how I can make fog lights come on with ignition?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #18
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
There is another mod to make the headlights work as drl by jumping a fuse...maybe you could do this with the fog lights?
Yes. You can make the fog lights work as DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) but the fog lights are HIGH powered relative to most DRLs so they may cause extra wear on housing. The fog lights were not designed to be on "full-time" as someone rightly pointed out here JUST BEFORE I did the same modification!

I believe the fogs are 21 Watts or so, they give off a lot of heat, especially if running in the sun. Even more so this summer where it has hardly been below 100F degrees (or 38C) for the last couple months! Almost desert heat and HOT lights not a good combination for the plastic lens! IMHO I am looking at the other part of the mod which is to make the Side Markers into Turn Signals…great for safety! EZ to do too!

Panameras, that LED fog looks good in there. That would not burn the lens. Hmmm. I might give that a try OR pick up a 4" LED DRL. How well do the fogs work, are they brighter than stock?