Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #1

wet patch!

Hi I am a new 986 owner, and so far have been very happy but I went out last night in the rain to find out it kept steaming up. I have traced this to behind the pasanger seat (uk rhd) the carpet is wet. I am guessing this is a new problem with my car as there is no evidence of standing water or rust there from before.. Is there a drain off from the roof that is possibly blocked?

In anticipation

Keith

kd986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #2

You need to make sure that the two main drains are free and clear of any debris.
Open the soft top half way and look at the very bottom of the plastic covering, just under the top mechanism's pivot point.
Those drains (one on either side) tend to collect leaves, pine needles and all sorts of debris.
Put a garden hose with a nozzle against the opening and flush. This should clear it completely.
Remove the seat(s) and dry the carpets out.
If you get moisture into the CLU (Central Locking Unit - black box under the seat) you'll need to dry it off before it damages the circuit board. If there is humidity there take the circuit board out and dunk it in isopropyl alcohol which dissipates water. After an hour, shake it off and let it completely air dry. Reinstall

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd986 View Post
Hi I am a new 986 owner, and so far have been very happy but I went out last night in the rain to find out it kept steaming up. I have traced this to behind the pasanger seat (uk rhd) the carpet is wet. I am guessing this is a new problem with my car as there is no evidence of standing water or rust there from before.. Is there a drain off from the roof that is possibly blocked?

In anticipation

Keith
Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #3

Garage
Good call from Pedro.. though If you went through Hebden Bridge, your problem may be slightly different !

2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote