Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #1

New boxster owner San Francisco bay area - help needed

Hi all, just picked up my first boxster (first Porsche ever) yesterday and discovering what everyone else on this forum already knew. These cars are incredibly fun to drive. Very different than my c5 vette but what it loses in HP it more than makes up with the smoothness of its engine and general ergonomics.

1997 with 95k on the clock so i'm building my list of things to work on including getting the cracked top replaced. The most immediate item thats bugging me however is a passenger side window that won't go up or down. Everything I've read on the forum suggests a dying or dead regulator. Started to try and remove the door panel but got only as far as getting the panel loose from the window channel but couldn't get it completely off the door. Didn't want to break anything so gave up for the day. Still have to order regulator so figured I couldn't finish the job today anyway.

If there is anyone in the bay area that has done this before and can spare some time to walk me through this process that'd be appreciated. Even just a recommendation on good shop to bring it to would be good start.

Thanks in advance for the help and looking to see other forum members on the road.

Loren

ragtopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #2

I've done it several times -- my guess is you missed one of the hidden screws bolts.

From memory -- there is one behind the handle, one or two behind the plastic
piece just infront of the handle.

one behind the airbag plate.

Two along the armrest -- one behind a c-clip the other behind that piece in front of the handle.

Then there is one inside the door pocket -- but its tough to get out -- but you can
just pop out the whole plastic piece.

Hope that helps -- I'll be traveling to Cupertino and be there all day Tue - Thursday night.
If you need someone to help -- and you're near that area -- let me know.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #3

Garage
http://www.babblers.org/ is low traffic, but has a lot of Bay Area folks. Sorry, that's all the advice I've got.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #4

Good instructions here:
Boxster Projects | Power Window Motor Repair
Old 07-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #5

The plastic top should cost $300-500 to replace at your local auto and marine upholstery shop.
It cost me $300, but I heard of others spending $500.

The door:
Get the Torx screw set if you have not already. And a phillips screwdriver.
Screws are located:
1. Behind the interior door handle (Remove plastic piece around door handle.
2. Behind the black plastic piece mentioned in step 1.
3. In the cubby storage compartment -I think this one is Phillips screwdriver.
4. Behind the plastic C-clamp in between the door cubby storage compartment and the support door handle used to pull the door closed.
5. Behind the airbag logo

Then when you get all screws off, pull the door panel upwards and towards the back of the car at the same time. It will not come off completely because there are 2 electrical cables plugged in. One for the door light+airbag, and one for the door handle. These cables pull out easy, but annoying when you try to re-install the door panel.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #6

Don't waste your money or fixing an original top...it's time for the stitches to start to unravel the seams. Get a new GAAH top.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #7

Thanks for all the support! Ended up bringing the car into Flintwork(?) located in campbell this afternoon. $600 bucks later it's working perfectly. They gave the car a quick once over and found a torn engine mount but that will have to wait until ive fixed the top and replaced the rear tires. Best thing is that I got a chance to drive it one hour in each direction from San Francisco. This is one smooth car on the freeway.

Also stopped by a porsche dealership for a instrument panel bulb. $17 bucks is the most I have ever paid for a lightbulb but again now I can see my clock and oil gauge.

Really looking forward to taking it down the coast along highway with some curves to test out the handling.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #8

Awesome I'd say I'd help but probably not the person u want lol...so far the only DIY I have done is new pedals...tho hoping to change that soon. Heading down hwy 1 is next on my list as well. Enjoy it there are lots of fun curves out here.
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #9

Welcome to the pack

I'm in San Francisco, with two boxsters. Welcome to the pack, we could meet for ride and chat. I have a great mechanic, who is by the way will be doing front engine mount this week.
BTEMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #10

Weekend drive sounds great. Earlier better for me.

How much is your mechanic charging for the engine mount?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtopz View Post
Weekend drive sounds great. Earlier better for me.

How much is your mechanic charging for the engine mount?
1 hr labor
BTEMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #12

Hi all, I may be a little off topic here but I couldn't help it. I have a Boxster here in Scotland and have just returned from a 17 day holiday in San Francisco. You are all SO lucky.....I remember thinking whilst driving down to Carmel and up to Mt Tampalais that these roads would just so much fun in my Boxster. Sunshine and blue skies.....you have it all!!
Sorry I can't help with the window problem but it sound like others have it almost sorted.
craig245t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #13

Glad you fixed the window regulator Hi-way 1 and Mt.Diablo is way to go to test your driving skills, nice weekend weather ahead.