Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #1

Headlight Switch Removal

I know this is a basic question, but I am new to this and not sure how to remove the switch so I can replace it with a new one. See photo.

I removed the 24mm nut holding the unit together. I tried yanking the unit straight out, but that didn't work. I tried twisting clockwise assuming it had locked into the black tabs. I'm concerned I will break the plastic assembly. What are those black tabs for anyway?

I appreciate your help.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Once the nut is removed, the round piece with the lighted icons pops straight out(kinda snug). Then, behind that, you'll see that you need to rotate the switch assembly a few degrees ccw via two tabs and it will slide out of the plastic housing.

Is that what you were asking?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:41 AM   #3

Here are the instructions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenheckler View Post
I know this is a basic question, but I am new to this and not sure how to remove the switch so I can replace it with a new one. See photo.

I removed the 24mm nut holding the unit together. I tried yanking the unit straight out, but that didn't work. I tried twisting clockwise assuming it had locked into the black tabs. I'm concerned I will break the plastic assembly. What are those black tabs for anyway?

I appreciate your help.

Replace Lights Switch

Happy Boxstering
Pedro
Old 07-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #4

did you spray it with contact cleaner . it will most likely fix the problem . unless the unit is actually damaged .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. The problem ultimately was that I had to pull the bezel out and rotate so that the switch slides out. Pedro's website helped a lot.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #6

Greenheckler,

How did you pull out the switch bezel? I can't get mine to budge in any direction. Does it require some rotation, or do the black tabs (on the back side) need to be manipulated a certain way? It simply does not slide straight out.

Thanks.
glane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #7

Hey glane,
I literally used my thumb to pull the spring loaded bezel out and then with my other hand twisted the headlight switch. Just so that we are on the same page, the bezel is the circular ring with pictographs you see from the dash. Like I said, I followed pedros instructions and it worked. See URL he provided.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #8

Greenheckler,

Thanks for your reply. We were on the same page, in speaking of the same piece. After staring at yours, Pedro's (and several others') photos, I noticed a common thread...you all posted photos of bare dash boards that have no elements to interfere with sliding out the bezel. In Pedro's upholstery tips, he mentions how to glue the edges of replacement leather pieces. This tipped me off.

After seeing Pedro's info, I suspected glue had spilled over (into the bezel surround) during the factory install of the full leather dash. This is why I couldn't slide out the bezel. It was glued in place. I was able to put a screw driver into the mounting hole for the interior torx screw and lever it against the stem of the old swith to "pop" it loose. This avoided digging and prying (& tearing) from the outer edges.

I hope this helps anyone else facing the possibility of damaging their bezel surround, while trying to remove it.

You and "Pedro" were a great help.
glane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #9

Broken Headlight Switch? Maybe Not

If the headlight switch on a 986/996 doesn't work but the headlights will come on when you pull the knob out as for the fog lamps and push in hard then the switch isn't broken. I replaced the switch on my 03 Boxster S and took the old switch apart to see what went wrong. All I found is one of the two springs in the metal top had popped out. I reinstalled the old switch and it worked, could have saved $150. The spring could pop out again, something might be worn but for what that switch costs I would have found out. When you seat the control arm and brown plastic collar it should stay in by itself. If it's not correctly seated the top won't fit and you'll think you have to bend the tabs.

Last edited by BOXSTERKEITH; 12-18-2015 at 12:50 PM.
BOXSTERKEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:09 AM   #10

Garage
Have just replaced my switch and the headlights worked fine for 3 trips.......aaaaagh .then out again.....will try your pull and push routine. I suspect that the old switch may be OK!
Old 12-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maydose View Post
Have just replaced my switch and the headlights worked fine for 3 trips.......aaaaagh .then out again.....will try your pull and push routine. I suspect that the old switch may be OK!
Need to be more specific when you say your headlights are out as the internal wiriing (insulation) in the headlight assembly will degrade and crack, causing lights to fail or work intermittently.

Was your new switch new or from a dismantler?

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote