Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #1

Question Hard knocking felt in the floor and pedals only when turning left

Hard knocking felt in the floor and pedals only when turning left. Slowly or fast. Do not hear anything on the freeway or going straight or turns which are smooth. Only felt when turning steering to the left.

My mechanics can't figure out what it possibly can be. I feel it when slowly turning with wheel turned to the left, not experiencing it when turning right.

Recently changed:
Shocks (Tokico HD)
Bars and bars bushings (GT3 and tarret front and rear)
Links (front and rear tarret)
Control Arms (GT3)

The car did sit for about a year after shocks change but before everything else.

Everything looks solid when on the lift, moving it, banging not really producing anything.

One of the mechanics thinks it might be steering rack, but it just feels much more metallic.

Its a full mystery right now, but really affects my please of driving it, as any sharp turns to the left feel like my wheel or something will come off. I hear it on the left and hear it even more when slowly backing up with the wheel turned to the left.

Help is greatly appreciated!

BTEMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #2

Garage
If this started when the sway bars & links went on then the links must be the wrong length.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #3

As per BYprodriver says - plus was the suspension componants tightened up while the car was still on the hoist.
Suspension should always be torqued up while the car is sitting on its wheels .....
Old 07-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
Homeboy981

Garage
Steve T. is right. Some of the suspension parts NEED to be weighted when tightened fully. You can tighten them partially in the air but the final torque needs to be performed on the ground under the weight of the vehicle. That allows it to "sag" the proper amount.

Not sure of all the items affected, maybe one of the older members can chime in, but I believe the drop links, arms and shock tower all need to be "weighted" on the final tightening to proper specs.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #5

I'd be checking for interference, looseness etc. on the new suspension parts
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #6

Knocking...

Before the new suspension bits went on I had hard knocking when turning both ways, left and right. The mechanic told me that my control arms need to be replaced, therefore I went with GT3 control arms and while I was at it, swapped the sway bars and end links. Now the knocking is only when turning left.

I think my Mechanic did everything right. Also I'm going to TRG for suspension tuning, once I get rid of this knock.

Any other ideas?

The knocking is felt actually physically in the pedals and on the driver side floor, on the passenger side, the passenger will only hear the sound.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #7

Anything else it could be?

Any other ideas?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #8

Help?

To the top
Old 07-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #9

Did anyone check the motor mounts.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote