Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #1

Horn Problem

Hi Folks,
Has anybody had a problem with the horn being too sensitive? If I hit the brakes really hard, the horn blows. Can I take the airbag cover off without disconnecting the battery? I've had a lot of cars, but none with this problem.

'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #2

I just got this same problem started doing it today, sometimes randomly honks when i step on the brake and turning to the next street.. i need help with this as well
Speedy164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #3

Airbag bracket. The bushing are wearing out. Two options: Try to use some hose or tubing to reinforce the bushing... or spend $60 buck at Suncoast Porsche for a new bracket.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #4

Thanks for the info Vath. I searched online and Rennlist has quite a few threads on the topic. It appears that this is common for the 996's as well. I put some stiff foam pieces where the grommets are, giving the horn connection more resistance. took about an hour. If this craps out I will get the actual bracket later. I could now replace it in about a 1/2 hour.
'05 Sportster
Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #5

3rd option: buy a 3-spoke wheel!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #6

Garage
I have the 3-spoked wheel. My '00S was doing this before I bought the car. It was one of the things the p-dealer fixed up front. It didn't have anything to do with the steering wheel horn switch but rather down and up front at the horns themselves. I think there was a rubber gasket / grommet or something like that, that had fallen out or worn out. The horn was making contact with the bracket and going off every time the brakes were applied... I don't know?? just another thought???
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #7

Sean, you are correct. As I stated earlier, I fixed the problem with foam. I also called Suncoast and they said the part costs $62 bucks. My foam fix was free.
'05 Sportster
Old 07-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #8

My horn started honking when the brakes were applied. I read this forum and found sound advice. I choose to try an alternative that worked and I thought I would share. I removed the two screws and pulled out the airbag. I then loosened the 4 bolts and removed the bracket. I applied a few beads of glue from a hot glue gun around the bushings, allowing it to dry briefly between the two layers. The end result is a fast fix that can immediately be reinstalled. The glue is semi-flexible when dry and is similar to the bushing in my opinion. Total cost under $1.
jesseborgelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #9

Sheesh. I paid $212 at a dealer for this my first week of ownership 8 years ago :0
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Sheesh. I paid $212 at a dealer for this my first week of ownership 8 years ago :0
Damn, $211 savings.....
jesseborgelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #11

Randall, Don't feel bad as the PO paid $339.40 to replace the pad and retaining frame @ 79511 miles.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
les

I am about to replace for the 3rd time ('99 with 105k). First time I tried all the fixes to beef up the rubber grommets that were failing. Worked for awhile and then failed. So I got a new bracket. Just a crap design. Air bag weighs too much and it will eventually wear out the thin rubber. Right now it is beep/beeping when it gets really hot out and the rubber becomes real pliable. Soon it will happen even on a cool day. I found a Torx unit at Home Depot that was long enough to engage for under $10 and has multiple other Torx heads on it as a bonus.
les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #13

Garage
My horn is not blowing, except when I touch it, but man is it ever sensitive to touch. I can just rest my hand on top of the air back section, and it blows.

Is this normal, or is mine getting ready to have the same issues as above?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #14

I've got the 3 spoke steering wheel in mine and the horn started working intermittently and now does not work at all. Is it the airbag carrier or something else? Tried pressing both sides of the airbag cover where the horn markings are but to no avail.
yellowboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #15

SIMPLE SIMPLE FIX.....I bought a package of black foam weather stipping at Home depot.....cut a few small pieces, pulled off the sticky side tape so all I had was just black foam and using a small dull blade neatly pushed it in the 4 spaces located on the 4 steering wheel spokes between the horn plate and the round steering wheel...........they prevent the horn from jiggling and going off prematurely......tokk 10 minutes and cost about $5...........It lasts for about 4 years before I need to replace the foam with newer foam.........have done it twice in 10 yrs.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #16

A VERY SIMPLE SIMPLE FIX.....I bought a package of black foam weather stipping at Home depot.....cut a few small pieces, pulled off the sticky side tape so all I had was just black foam and using a small dull blade neatly pushed it in the 4 spaces located on the 4 steering wheel spokes between the horn plate and the round steering wheel...........they prevent the horn from jiggling and going off prematurely......tokk 10 minutes and cost about $5...........It lasts for about 4 years before I need to replace the foam with newer foam.........have done it twice in 10 yrs.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to Gregtenerife
I recently did mine but all I did was bend the brackets outward by a couple of milimeters in each of the four corners where the horn contacts are. It took me about ten minutes.
Gregtenerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #18

Di?n dÃ****n nÃ****y hay quá, Mình lÃ**** thÃ****nh viên m?i, m?i ngu?i giúp d? nhi?u nha
Old 08-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to Gregtenerife
Thanks I may try that next time)
Gregtenerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #20
pk2

There are 4 little bushing that hold the horn rail.It's a metal frame behind the air bag. I had the same prob.Slam the bakes on and feel like an idiot, honking at everybody Almost had the Sh_t kicked out of me more than once

Use 3m black silicone rubber, Loosen up the pegs and squeeze it in around those 4 pegs, let it solve over nite, not to much, may have to trim some the horn works without standing on it

Last edited by pk2; 08-05-2013 at 11:38 AM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote