Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #41
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
Particle - I'm sure both you and I can agree on one more thing...

P O R S C H E on the trunk above the word Boxster
Oh yeah!

Sorry for putting this Box down. I know its probably not the popular opinion, just mine.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #42

I was disappointed that the S no longer has a center radiator, but instead has a fake scoop where the center radiator would have been. Ugh. I like everything else about the car, though... Lower curb weight, more power, better fuel efficiency, and great looks.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
For the 1467th time...the headlights, man, the headlights! Lame! Your opinion is valued.
Is that supposed to be a response to my reasoned and articulate post? I get that you don't like the headlights,no problem with you having such an opinion on them. I too like the carrera's lights better.

But think, man! If the boxster lights looked like the prettier 911's, according to your logic buying one would indicate "insecurity" on the part of the buyer, who is obviously trying to convince people he has a 911! So,ugly though they be, ugly they must remain, since rounding them just produces more insecurity.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana S View Post
I was disappointed that the S no longer has a center radiator, but instead has a fake scoop where the center radiator would have been. Ugh. I like everything else about the car, though... Lower curb weight, more power, better fuel efficiency, and great looks.
987s don't have center rad either...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #45
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Why, yes. Yes it was. Next time, I'll be sure to clarify that.

My point was never about them looking like a GT's lights, it was that they look generic. The GT post was about something else completely.

Later, bud!

Last edited by particlewave; 07-02-2012 at 07:58 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #46
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Nope, it's a 9x6 era car, the steering wheel and instrument gauges are 9x6 design...
I guess this is true, ekam. Started out in 2004, which was still 9x6, but it went through to 07, right?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #47
Porscheectomy

Drove Panameras, 991s and 981s on track today.

Panameras are very capable but boring. I suppose the performance should impress me, but I just don't care. The 991 and 991S are very close in engine performance. The extra 50hp is very hard to feel. Grip is fantastic. Boxsters are very solid and the balance is fantastic. All the new cars sound great. What an improvement in engine music both inside and outside of the car. PDK is impressive and it's nice to not have to worry about shifting on the track, but the loss of involvement isn't worth it. The 981 is even bigger sitting next to a 986 than pictures show. The 986 looks graceful and purposeful next to the hefty 981. The electric assist steering in both new cars, I don't care what they tell you, is more numb and lighter effort.

The new interiors are WAY too overstyled. Too much jewelry, too many unnecessary angles and creases. Seating position is nice and the seats are hard but feel great though.

There's no comparison, the 986 is much more communicative and connected. The new cars are fast and capable but clearly more isolated from the road, for a fun car on the road, NO contest, 986 hands down.

Last edited by blue2000s; 08-18-2012 at 05:40 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #48

Blue, thanks for your insights.

As I age, I want a Porsche that is easy to drive yet has gobs of power when I want to use it.

The direction the designs are going are in my direction, although they are obviously engineering the visceral feel and look out of their vehicles.

This may be strategic though and not a mistake. The cars are no longer great for the track, but they will have stripped down versions for more money for sale for that purpose (Cayman type R for example)

Thoughts?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #49
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Blue, thanks for your insights.

As I age, I want a Porsche that is easy to drive yet has gobs of power when I want to use it.

The direction the designs are going are in my direction, although they are obviously engineering the visceral feel and look out of their vehicles.

This may be strategic though and not a mistake. The cars are no longer great for the track, but they will have stripped down versions for more money for sale for that purpose (Cayman type R for example)

Thoughts?
They are better track cars than ever. They are also bigger, more numb, more comfortable, and overstyled. They are GTs. Awesome GTs. I like GTs, but I LOVE sports cars.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #50
kls

Blue; Somehow you seem to have answered most of the questions I've had about the new models. I have a 986 base with a stick and within a couple of years I'd like to get either a 981S or a 991 base coupe. I've never really wanted a 911 before, but the 991 coupe is, IMHO, stunning. What were your thoughts about the differences in between the 981 and 991?

Your comment about the PDK pretty much resolves my belief that I'm going to have to stay with a stick to get the sports car feel. Maybe if I was 30 years younger I'd get the same sensation from the PDK, but too old to change.
kls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #51
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kls View Post
Blue; Somehow you seem to have answered most of the questions I've had about the new models. I have a 986 base with a stick and within a couple of years I'd like to get either a 981S or a 991 base coupe. I've never really wanted a 911 before, but the 991 coupe is, IMHO, stunning. What were your thoughts about the differences in between the 981 and 991?

Your comment about the PDK pretty much resolves my belief that I'm going to have to stay with a stick to get the sports car feel. Maybe if I was 30 years younger I'd get the same sensation from the PDK, but too old to change.
My advice is to keep the base 986 and ignore everything you see about any newer model. They never got better.

But to answer your question, I prefer the balance of the Boxster. Every 911 I've driven, from 1977 to 2013, has a quirky extra push on the rear wheels through significant corners. I feel it in every 911. It's clearly discernable that the engine is in the wrong place.

On the street, 400hp is totally useless. Even 315hp is overkill. I didn't get to drive any non-S 981s, but they're probably 99% of what you get in the S. Unless you need to prove that you are significant to everyone else, don't bother with the Carrera.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #52
kls

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
My advice is to keep the base 986 and ignore everything you see about any newer model. They never got better.

But to answer your question, I prefer the balance of the Boxster. Every 911 I've driven, from 1977 to 2013, has a quirky extra push on the rear wheels through significant corners. I feel it in every 911. It's clearly discernable that the engine is in the wrong place.

On the street, 400hp is totally useless. Even 315hp is overkill. I didn't get to drive any non-S 981s, but they're probably 99% of what you get in the S. Unless you need to prove that you are significant to everyone else, don't bother with the Carrera.
Good advice - thanks. (But I still crave 315 HP!)
Old 08-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #53

Some odd posts here, Guys , this car is way better than your 986 . the 987 was better and the DI motor car even more (the newest porsche is the best porsche) . The 981 is a serious car and I am 100% certain it will smoke a 986 around any track. It will feel good , look good and be luxurious doing it !
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #54
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kls View Post
Good advice - thanks. (But I still crave 315 HP!)
Go ahead and crave it, it's sweet to have a car that comes from the factory with so much ability you don't even think about , throttle bodies, headers, air filters and all the other measures to squeak more go out of it. After owning both I completely disagree with blue even though I understand his point.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #55

At first I completely hated the new design, and even when I saw it at the NYAS. However, it had to be the color because I have seen two on the road now and the first time it was nearly dark and it it wasn't for the roof I thought it was a Carrara GT...even the sound as it screamed by. The second one was similar and in the daylight. I have grown to really like this new model!

Chris
Old 08-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #56
Ex Esso kid

Lower, meaner, cheaper, faster

EDIT* this is what I was looking for

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1159150&d=11853.24240&nmt=#seperator

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 08-19-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
the newest porsche is the best porsche
Troll material right there. :troll::dance:
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #58

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
Some odd posts here, Guys , this car is way better than your 986 . the 987 was better and the DI motor car even more (the newest porsche is the best porsche) . The 981 is a serious car and I am 100% certain it will smoke a 986 around any track. It will feel good , look good and be luxurious doing it !
Having owned a 986 and a 987 and driven both a base and 981S, the new car is better than either car (wouldn't you expect it ?) I respectfully suggest that those that think the 986 is the Holy Grail read this months Grassroots Motorsports mag--a complete comparison of all three models and driven by a Barber school instructor and 3 986 owners. A couple of the 986 owners might have grudgingly kept their praise down, but the instructor was very high on the car. If anything, the article points out much better the 987 was vs. the 986 and on the track, the 987.2 vs. 981 are close.

I understand what the OP was saying about steering feel--the 986 was as responsive as things get. Having said that, I really liked how the new car handles on a auto-x course--turns in quick, lots of traction, minimal role; my 986 wishes it could have handled this well. Additionally,it's more comfortable, quieter and gets better gas mileage than the cars it replaced.

Are their styling miscues?--sure; the silver background on the tach on the S is stupid as are the top vents. But the overall interior and body are great. Hate to say it folks, but raw looking cars aren't going to get it done--typical customers want something that looks higher end.

I expect the market to vote with their wallets on this car and it will sell well.

Last edited by MikenOH; 08-19-2012 at 05:59 PM.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #59
Ex Esso kid

The new car will do great, is likely a phenomenal ride and might raise the Boxster to the podium it always belonged on. That will be especially true given the new 911 cost and the reality that the mid-engined platform is superior, period. Still don't get the automatic dis of the 987, I have less weight more HP how is it that the 987 still "pales in comparison"? Especially when a new S can approach 95K if you hang enough options on it.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 08-19-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #60
kls

I am satisfied with my 986, and the longer I can keep telling myself that, the better off I am. Everything I read about the 981 is good, except a little whining about the steering, and there is nothing about the styling that I don't like. I was looking at one at a dealership a few days ago and they pulled a ruby red 991 coupe next to it and it took my breath away. I have never been a big 911 fan, but this year it's perfect. (No clue what it drives like, but from everything I've read so far, the Boxster is more fun to drive.)

Did I mention that I AM SATISFIED WITH MY 986? I AM SATISFIED WITH MY 986! I AM SATISFIED WITH MY 986......