Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2005, 11:20 AM   #1

Test drove an S2000, 2004

I wanted to see if I was missing anything...................so I test drove a 2004 S2000 with 30,000 miles on it.

While sitting down in the car, noticing all the controls and digital tach, it reminded me of my mom's Accord, a pretty far stretch to the claimed "track ready sport car". Fit and finish was very dissappointing, and not far off from the Civic's of yester-year. You definitely feel you paid $30,000 for a $12,000 civic interior. From the door sills, to the rubber around the windshield it felt and looked cheap.

I 've heard the shifter and motor are awesome, however on the test drive here's what I noticed:

--NO 2nd gear chirp, in fact the clutch kept slipping to catch the drive train up to the motor.
--you only have 2,000 RPM from 7,000-9,000 to get ANY power out of the thing, COMPLETELY useless which inclueded getting on a long decreasing radius turn to the freeway.
--Shifter was VERY easy to shift, however felt very long, and disconnected to the motor.
--Clutch was featherly light, good in my mind.

Just my thoughts....... and was VERY happy to drive home in my Boxster S

KRZ

KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:00 PM   #2

well I guess I'm in the minority but this car is a blast to drive. I agree the interior screams Honda at 9000 RPM's. The motorcycle engine and best in class gear box is an awesome combination. The all new rear suspension is a major step forward.
The engine sits behind the front shock mounts which give it a different feel from any front engine car. Braking is not quiet 911, but still more than above average.
And of course the car is bulletproof. The thing I don't like is that the driving position is not all to my liking. But drop in some Recaro Pole positions and maybe..

The guys at my local autocross/track clubs all seem to share my opinion that this is the best performance car for the $.
Interesting, one guy I know who is wicked fast (instructor) loves the S2000 above all others. Another guy who used to race in junior formulas has an 2005 S2000 and would trade for my BoxsterS in a heart beat.

But I'll take a new NSX.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #3

Talking

I never appreciated the lack of torque in this car. Too firm a ride for me also.

Good looking though!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:14 PM   #4

I have a feeling the clutch is slipping, and needs to be replaced. I drove a buddy's Integra GSR with the basic bolt-on s and the GSR would kick the S2000's ass (the one I drove).

I must drive another one to confirm my dissappointment.

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:12 PM   #5

I agree with Perfectlap. I love the S2K. It was my first choice until I discovered I can't fit in it. It has an awesome sound too (but it's no F6)!

I wonder if the one you drove KRZTACO at one point, used to be suped up and now is put back to stock so it will actually sell.

Less than a month ago I got myself into an acceratory skirmish with an S2K. I thought it would beat my car. Sure enough, the ol' Boxster pulled through for me in stunning form...

It was from a 25-30mph start, I got the lead early, then he slowly pulled ahead. Then once speeds got higher, I reeled him in squeezed past. It was greatness.

In his defence, he had a passenger in the car, I didn't. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I was proud of my silver car that night.

A tip for you KRZTACO: Drive the S2000 like you hate it (that's probably easier with a clutch that doesn't slip). Are you looking to get rid of your car?
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:55 PM   #6

As a former owner of a 2000 S2000, anyone who says they are not great sportscars either hasn't driven it correctly, or has no idea what a true sportscar is. While there is no torque below 6,000, from there to 9,000 its a screamer! The shifter is better than any other shifter I have ever owned (Miata, NSX, 2 RX-7s, STi). I have never driven a car where the front end could not come unglued, and the rear end was so easy to unglue. That car is evil in the wet, but oh so fun if you know what you are doing! Also, I would get 25mpg in it, although the least I got was 15mpg on a tank as I was REALLY getting into it during that tankful! :-) It was a little tight for me, as I am 6 foot, and 240 pounds, and the interier was a little bland, but it was very well put together and totally reliable. As for the electronics, they are way ahead of Porsche on reliability and technology. I am not dissing my Boxster, and in many ways the Boxster is a better car, but for the money, the S2000 is an incredible buy.

9000RPMan is offline   Reply With Quote