Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #1

'98 Boxster concerns?

Hi everyone,

I'm new around here and have been lurking around. I finally found a decently priced low mileage Boxster in my area, so I signed up.

Anyways, the car I found is a '98 with only 12k miles on it. I'm sure you guys get the question a lot about blown motors, but its just too big of a concern. I heard read that motors the do blow does so around 15-25k? This is a relatively large concern because I do not think I have the finances to replace the motor. If I choose to buy the car, how much of a risk will it be?

Is there less chance getting a blown engine in a '97?

And also what would a good price be for this car? (comes with hardtop)
What about a low mileage '00?

thanks

Last edited by Ness; 09-04-2005 at 05:48 PM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:10 PM   #2

If a 98 had a bad motor, it would be toast by now. I would not allow this to stop you.

Having said that, we advise all prospective buyers to get a pre purchase inspection from a Porsche Dealer. Also, run a car fax to check for title related issues.

Make sure the dealer uses a paint meter to check for any paint work and damage and have the dealer provide a warranty claims summary. Try to verify the service history on the car.

Re: values, check www.kbb.com for Private party values and use www.autotrader.com to establish comps.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:02 PM   #3

Ive done quite some research on Boxster Engine Failures by surfing/browsing thru several Boxster Sites(ppbb, pca, babblers, 986forum,etc...etc) before i jumped on purchasing my 01 Box. First of all let me stress that the infamous RMS Leak is ANOTHER issue besides the Engine Failures(Seized engine, etc)...Several Box. veterans from the above sites(pca, ppbb...etc...etc) have noticed quite a Higher TREND of Boxster Engine Failures occuring amongst low mileage engines(quite often/NOT always, Engine Failures are common between 10k-40k)-its quite rare/NOT always Engine Failures happen with Higher Mileage Boxsters(>55k) regardless of Year/Engine Size.... Ived personally met several people whose engine failed between 10k-40k....Again, Do your research by surfing/asking/searching thru SEVERAL Box Sites and youll notice this Trend....Also, I cannot stress the importance of Pre Purchase Inspection...Good Luck
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:22 AM   #4

Talking

Let me elaborate on my answer.

I was referring to the alloy problem that Porsche has way back when with the Box engine. Based on my readings in the Panorama magazine, one does not need to worry that they are buying one of those engines as they cratered pretty quickly and Porsche recalled many more.

Now, on the topic of general engine failure, I don't know of any source that suggests a 99 is anymore prone to detonate than any other Box engine.

In the PPI, one can request a compression test or leak down test if there is any evidence that the engine is of concern.

Then again, if there were symptons re: that specific engine, I would just pass on the car anyway.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-05-2005, 01:04 PM   #5

another suggestion, get a extended warranty on it! with that low miles you'll get a decent price compared to high mileage ones. I bought a 97 with 9k miles on it got a ext warranty, just more than a thousand $. I've used it a couple times already for the top. Got a little piece of mind for 3 yrs and enjoy! My experience on them is pricey to fix and there realiablity is just probably average or less but they are a blast to drive. Somebody is post here a 04 boxster with just above 10k miles and need to have his engine replaced so no year is really safe, there just more stories I think of the older boxsters but it's still happening.
pilyo bxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Now, on the topic of general engine failure, I don't know of any source that suggests a 99 is anymore prone to detonate than any other Box engine.

People generally talk about 99s having engine failures because of the "slip sleeve" problem found only of 99 boxsters made sept 98 to april 99
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqtran
People generally talk about 99s having engine failures because of the "slip sleeve" problem found only of 99 boxsters made sept 98 to april 99
That what I was alluding to in my "alloy" comment earlier.