Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #1

Scraping Sounds

My 2000 boxster has recently started making a faint scraping sound. It sounds like it is coming from the back of the car. It is very faint and only happens when I am making sharp turns or accelerating. It sounds like metal dragging on the road but there is nothing hanging down. I don't know if it is related but sometimes when I downshift or start on a hill my car makes a very loud almost shriek sounding sound. Does anyone maybe know what these sounds are, and why they are happening?

Thanks for the help.

Noahvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #2

I have had that happen to in a few instances.

After driving normal for 30 minutes, the shriek occurred when I was passing through a Dunkin Donuts drive thru.
also
I was at a track event and was doing 60-0 braking on a Vehicle Dynamics Flat.
When the brakes heated up (from abuse) they were squealing nonstop and got really loud when turning the car around at slow driving speeds.

I looked and so did a tech. We saw nothing wrong. The noise did go away after the brakes cooled. When I was washing the car and getting the brake dust off the wheels, I noticed that there's something shielding the rear brake caliper.pads from heat/contaminates. If you use a brush to clean the dust off the wheels, like me, you might happen to hear a similar shriek.

My 2 cents, after putting a few ideas together... when the brakes heat up and the shield gets hot, it expands and slightly wears on the rotors or some other rotating part of the hub. That's all I can figure. I did check pad wear and I have 7-8 mm left on all four rear pads.

Good Luck.

danfranzetta is offline   Reply With Quote