Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #1

2nd Gear problems

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so hopefully I'm in the correct section. As the title states, I am having some trouble with shifting into 2nd gear. This seems to be a typical boxster problem, but I don't have all the signs and symptoms so I though I would poll for ideas/opinions. I have no Porsche experience other than 2-3 weeks.

Car: 2004 Porsche Boxster with 80K miles

Problem: No apparent engine noises, although there is a rough idle (+/- 20-30RPM) every once and awhile. All gears shift very well with the exception of 2nd and sometimes 1st gear. The problem is hit and miss sometimes, can't seem to reproduce it effectively - it seems to be harder to shift when accelerating, but still hard if I let the RPMs come back down. No grinding in gear or weird noises. Also, 2nd gear never comes out, but will come back about halfway (not sure if this is normal).

I have plans to replace transmission oil and the motor mount. Is this the right plan of action? Are their simple driving tests I can do to rule other things out - like bad synchro?

Thanks!
Kyle

kbiggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #2

Try this. An instant before you are going to shift into second, with your foot off the clutch, apply a little pressure on the shifter. Hold the shifter lightly with three fingers and pull back slightly. Then, keeping the same pressure on the shifter, push the clutch in. It should shift smoothly into second.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #3

problems with shifting into 2nd gear

I too had problems with my '03 S, usually when I wasn't focusing on the shift, but rather, just slipping it into place.... that's when it would pop out and grind a bit. So initially, I'd say to concentrate on the shift more carefully in the short term. However, in the long term, I'd recommend the modified 2nd gear detent that is available from GBox in Colorado. It's a small part that can be installed by your mechanic while the engine and tranny remain in the car. I've had amazing results - it completely took care of the problem. I only wish I had done it sooner.

Good luck,

Pat
Stiletto Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Do you notice any difference in the shifting from the time that you first start the car cold and after it has had time to warm up to operating temp? My first few shifts in the morning are always a little gummy and require slightly more effort and finesse than when the fluid is wamred up. Just wondering if you notice any difference in effort in this same way?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #5

Garage
2nd gear synchro is notorious for failing, I have never been able to downshift from 3rd to 2nd but will be rebuilding the gearbox this summer. 1st to 2nd is crunchy till everything warms up, after that no problem.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
2nd gear synchro is notorious for failing, I have never been able to downshift from 3rd to 2nd but will be rebuilding the gearbox this summer. 1st to 2nd is crunchy till everything warms up, after that no problem.
Learn to double clutch and you will be able to downshift 3-2 every time. I had Italian cars and they came with bad synchros from the factory, or so it seems. Once you master double clutching, you can put off the rebuild.

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1993 Saab 9000
Old 05-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbiggar View Post

I have plans to replace transmission oil and the motor mount. Is this the right plan of action? Are their simple driving tests I can do to rule other things out - like bad synchro?

Thanks!
Kyle
Yes, and make sure to use Porsche OEM trans-axle oil.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:21 AM   #8

I know you can't apply one experience with another necessarily but your problem sounds just like mine right before I lost R 1st 2nd. They didn't all three go out at once and sometimes I could get into one gear or another but when torn down the whole rail had to be replaced. Porsche doesn't sell just the slip ring or whatever they call it. You have to buy the whole assembly. My regular Indy replaced all three gears for 1800 or so. Over half was parts. I found a used 6 speed with 45k miles for around 2500 but in the end went with he repair since the same thing tends to happen in these cars.

I was sure mine was synchros or the shifter/linkage but no such luck. Hope better for you but from what I understand that's the weakness on the boxster 6 speed. My car had 68k and about 18 of that on a raby rebuilt motor. I only mention that because of the extra torque but I don't really think it had anything to do with it as I don't really get on it in lower gears anyway. I'm mostly a 3rd and 4th driver at high Rpms, anyway
Old 05-31-2012, 03:18 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Learn to double clutch and you will be able to downshift 3-2 every time. I had Italian cars and they came with bad synchros from the factory, or so it seems. Once you master double clutching, you can put off the rebuild.
I have tried double clutching to no avail but will give it another shot, nothing to lose at this point. I have decided downshifting to 2nd is not as necessary as you think. I have enjoyed DEs with no issues, most tracks are 3rd and above anyway.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
I have tried double clutching to no avail but will give it another shot, nothing to lose at this point. I have decided downshifting to 2nd is not as necessary as you think. I have enjoyed DEs with no issues, most tracks are 3rd and above anyway.
The trick is once you are in neutral with your foot off the clutch, give the throttle a big blip then, as fast as you can, clutch in and put it in second.

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1993 Saab 9000
Old 05-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #11

Trucker style ! The blip on the gas in neutral is the key. Clutch must be out to make it work right.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #12

Garage
I can slip shift a big rig but double clutching is a hard thing to actually make my feet do. I will report back with my progress.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #13

The 6 speed 1998-2004 porsche gear boxes are notorious for grinding into second gear. Porsche themselves do not have a fix that I know of however G-box out of Boulder Colorado does and they did wonders for mine. Since getting them to repair my 6 speed I warm up car 2-3 min depending on weather and it is smooth as silk.
katanihouse@shaw.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
flybird

Garage
I had the same problem and changed the trany oil but still had the same problem. Try what was posted earlier. Just before you attempt shifting from first to second apply a little pressure to the shifter. You can feel a little gap before the shifter will stop. This is the time you press in the clutch and the shifter will slide into gear itself. This even works when the temp falls.
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #15

Garage
Double clutching has no effect on my inability to downshift from 3rd to 2nd. The gate is just not opening, it is not a meshing problem, it ain't going period.

The gate will open for second when it opens for 1st which is pointless because you just go to first at that point, and coming up from first is completely normal except for the first shift or two of the day.

I think a rebuild is the only way to get it to function again.