Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2005, 10:54 AM   #1

Wrecked my Boxster...

I was going around a hairpin corner, going uphill and low and behold, here comes a motorhome towing a jeep downhill and completely in my lane! I was going about 30-35 and swerved to the left, motorhome went back toward his lane, I swerved to the right, the car fishtailed, throwing the rear-end out to the left and then it caught traction and accellerated into the cement guardrail. Had the top down - hit the guardrail going a good 30 mph. Airbags deployed - burned my chin and the insides of my arms, jammed my finger pretty good, and I have some neck and back soreness, but in all I'm very happy. If the motorhome would have hit us I'm sure he'd have run right up over the hood and crushed us. My passenger is o.k. too.

The worst part is the motorhome didn't even stop. I have to make a claim in my own collision policy. I'm amazed at how the car held up in the wreck. The front bumper is cracked and scuffed real bad, the front right tire has a huge chunk out of the sidewall and the wheel will need replacing. The hood is a little off alignment, and I'm sure the frame is tweaked as the top won't match up with the windshield at all. The passenger door was pushed into the rear fender and bent it a little so the entire passenger side of the car is out of whack. The radiator must have cracked as all the fluid leaked out.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is that I'm curious if anyone has had a similar front-end collision in their Boxster? I don't have an estimate back from the body shop yet, but I'm amazed that they claim the car is repairable. I'd think with two airbags blown and the frame obviously tweaked that they would total this car. Seems the body shop might just want to pocket a big chunk of change on the repair as they'd get $0 if the car is totalled. I'll know more in a few days when I get the repair estimate. All in all, I feel very fortunate that we didn't collide with the motorhome.

Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #2

Glad to hear that you are okay, that's the most important thing. But I feel sorry for you. I know I would be a mess if I wrecked my baby.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:37 PM   #3

The airbags being deployed is not a big deal to repair. Happens all the time in repirs for collisions these days. As far as the frame being tweaked you mean the windshield support, correct? I'm not all knowing in this area but I know they can fix the windshield support...but...in a convertible this windshield support is part of your roll over protection! If you do roll over (and you most likely won't) in the future this frame may give away much easier and the car would collapse in on itself. Do some research on that part of the repair. The Lotus Elise has had many windshield surrounds ripped off of them from people trying to lift themselves out of the car. These get fixed all the time!

Sorry about the car! Good luck!
Old 08-29-2005, 01:48 PM   #4

get a lawyer before you deal with the insurance company any further.

I would immidiately sell a sportscar that was repaired from a frontal impact.
and I certainly would not buy one. Sprtscars are very sensitive, non-sportscars can be hammered back into shape by a guy who's never been near Stuggart.
Porsches different story.

car= replaceable
life = not replaceable
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-29-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:54 PM   #5

Get more than one opinion... Glad you are safe.

I hate it when people drift into the other lane like that RV.

I always say that in the world we live in today, if we didn't already have two lane roads, you would never be able to build two lane roads. Can you imagine trying to pitch the idea of building a two lane road to legislators , lawyers, MADD and insurance companies. They would freak about two cars closing over 120mph within 1 foot of each other if it wasn't already accepted.

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:32 PM   #6

repairs

There is some misinformation in the answers you have received. The insurance company will determin weather to repair your car or not. The appraiser will use a formula that will determin if it is totaled. It has to do with the salvage value, repair costs and the actual cash value of the car. You do NOT need a lawyer. That will just cost you more money. Just make sure your car is repaired correctly before you accept it. If you have an agent you can talk to, discuss your case with him. If you do not, that was your first mistake. You should always have an agent that can be on your side in a case like this
Old 08-30-2005, 06:06 AM   #7

I dealt with insurance companies and lawyers for several years when I worked in the courts. Insurance companies love clients who don't have an advocate.
A lawyer might cost you more money but going solo on a major insurance claim
can cost you plenty more. I have a friend who has learned this lesson the hard way with his wrecked 996. Good luck reselling a car with a red flags on a car fax.
You would'nt belive some of the things I've seen these insurance companies do over the years.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote