View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 10:54 AM   #1
Killertraylor

Wrecked my Boxster...

I was going around a hairpin corner, going uphill and low and behold, here comes a motorhome towing a jeep downhill and completely in my lane! I was going about 30-35 and swerved to the left, motorhome went back toward his lane, I swerved to the right, the car fishtailed, throwing the rear-end out to the left and then it caught traction and accellerated into the cement guardrail. Had the top down - hit the guardrail going a good 30 mph. Airbags deployed - burned my chin and the insides of my arms, jammed my finger pretty good, and I have some neck and back soreness, but in all I'm very happy. If the motorhome would have hit us I'm sure he'd have run right up over the hood and crushed us. My passenger is o.k. too.

The worst part is the motorhome didn't even stop. I have to make a claim in my own collision policy. I'm amazed at how the car held up in the wreck. The front bumper is cracked and scuffed real bad, the front right tire has a huge chunk out of the sidewall and the wheel will need replacing. The hood is a little off alignment, and I'm sure the frame is tweaked as the top won't match up with the windshield at all. The passenger door was pushed into the rear fender and bent it a little so the entire passenger side of the car is out of whack. The radiator must have cracked as all the fluid leaked out.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is that I'm curious if anyone has had a similar front-end collision in their Boxster? I don't have an estimate back from the body shop yet, but I'm amazed that they claim the car is repairable. I'd think with two airbags blown and the frame obviously tweaked that they would total this car. Seems the body shop might just want to pocket a big chunk of change on the repair as they'd get $0 if the car is totalled. I'll know more in a few days when I get the repair estimate. All in all, I feel very fortunate that we didn't collide with the motorhome.
Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote