Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #1

Glass window in 02 boxster?

Does anyone have opinions on replacing the top of their boxster with one that has a glass window? The porsche dealership did not recommend it. Any thoughts? Also what would be the best one to go with?

djmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #2

IMO, the best option is installing a used OEM top from an '03 or '04.
installinga'03-'04glasstopandframeona'97 - mikefocke2

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #3

I installed the glass GAHH top on my '99. Love having the glass window! The only drawback is I don't have full access to the engine bay. The glass prevents the rear of the top to fold fully up, so the access is reduced. You can eliminate this problem by doing just as Schoir said and retrofitting a donor top from an '03-'04. And, I think that route is actually cheaper. I think I've seen folks get them for $400-500? Plus shipping. The top I bought from GAHH was $925 shipped. And in addition, I think it's much easier to retrofit the '03-'04 top than it was taking the old top apart and installing new canvas on it. Took me around six hours.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:02 AM   #4

Love the glass window.

I am a top down, heater on type of guy who did not realize old plastic windows don't fold well in cold weather (below 60). The dealer said $5,000 to replace top. Local top shop wanted $2,400. I got one with a glass window from CabrioWorld for between $800 and $900, which seems pretty well made. I am pretty handy with tools but it was a challenge getting it right. Warm weather or a well heated garage is essential. (hint don't use a gas heater in a small enclosed garage). The canvas does not stretch very well in cold weather. Artists canvas pliers were very helpful. Finally I do love the glass window with defogger. Visibility is much improved and I am not so paranoid about dropping the top in cooler weather. It is a bit more difficult getting to the engine compartment, but I have been able to work around that issue.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:57 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoir View Post
IMO, the best option is installing a used OEM top from an '03 or '04.
installinga'03-'04glasstopandframeona'97 - mikefocke2

Regards, Maurice.
Plus 1 on this option. I found a complete top/frame on ebay from a 2004 that was being converted for track use. I followed the online instructions and swapped out the assemblies easily in a couple of hours. Best mod I have made!
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Maurice's recommendation is definitely ideal. If you can find the full frame and top from a 03 or 04, do it. I'm not sure if there would be some microswitch issues to work out on an 02 versus an older 986, but again, it's worth the effort.

I have a Robbins glass top (basically the same thing as a GAHH), and I think it's great, but I'm comparing it to my original, 15 year old top that was on there. At least with the OEM glass you don't lose nearly as much visibility as you do with the aftermarkets meant to fit on a 3-rib frame. Either way, when you drop the top what size your window is becomes a non-issue.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post

I'm not sure if there would be some microswitch issues to work out on an 02 versus an older 986, but again, it's worth the effort.
The tripping of the B-Pillar microswitch is the only thing that has to be worked out, and that only applies to '97 to '99 Boxsters. For '00 to '02, it's a straight swap.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:54 AM   #8

post reported as spam.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
Track rat

Garage
A new top with glass window transforms the car and you will love it. Best mod to date. (your Porsche dealer is on crack)
Old 10-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #10

Garage
I did mine on a '00 Boxster S - love it. Never looked back...

(hahaha! i crack myself up)

Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote