Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Porscheectomy

The Blue 2000 S is sold

The blue2000S went to a new owner today, almost exactly 6 years and a month after I bought it. I'm going to concentrate on finishing up some other car projects and then I'll pick up another car from my wish list. I'm thinking Lotus or Ferrari.

It was actually more tough to see the car drive off than I thought it would be. These cars can somehow become a little part of you, without even realizing it. But I know the new owner is going to enjoy the car and hopefully especially so because of the way I had it set up.

I thought it might be pretty fun to bring my Boxster ownership to a close in the same way that I opened it, with some impressions.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/5562-boxster-1st-impressions.html

The first impressions that I had of the car were all cemented over 6 years and 11,000 miles.

I love revving the flat six to redline. After desnorkeling, the engine intake noise and exhaust noise are fantastic. Especially with the top down. The push in the back from flooring the throttle was always satisfying. The power delivery of the engine is great. Other cars of mine with the same level of power don't seem quite as responsive to throttle inputs.

Most of my miles were put on in the mountains of Colorado. This car never failed to impress me with it's balance, grip, and entertaining demeanor. Steering response is first rate. Taking corners at full throttle that would be scary in other sports cars just blow my mind. At the track, the car is so easy to place and control. It's the only time it felt to me that I could have used more power, because the chassis is so impressively capable.

The materials held up well, not that they were especially stressed, but the seats, dash, carpet, and plastics all looked as good as they did when I bought the car. Even the Savannah floor mats cleaned up pretty nicely. Porsche definitely uses nicer carpets than the Japanese do.

Upkeep was pricey, but in-line with what I expected. These aren't cheap cars, but that's not the point.

Overall, this was a great ownership experience, as great as I could have hoped. I still think this is the best car that I've owned so far. It's going to be hard to beat.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Good luck blue S, look at it this way, if you get a Ferrari you will need some past tolerance for pricey upkeep.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #3

Garage
You can't leave us !
Old 04-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Good luck blue S, look at it this way, if you get a Ferrari you will need some past tolerance for pricey upkeep.
No kidding. If I do go that way, it'll be a short term ownership.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Carnut

Sorry to see you go!
Old 04-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Good chatting with you over the years Blue. Here's wishing you good fortune in your next car adventure.

A Ferrari is definitely feast for the eyes and famine for the wallet. If you are very fit and agile you just might love a Lotus. Several friends push the Exige around at the track and it is a pretty amazing sports car. You will never confuse it with the basic creature comforts of a Boxster though.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #7

Where do we look for sarcastic remarks?? Johnny boy is not capable taking over that role.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #8

Garage
A tribute to Blue !
So Long, Farewell - YouTube
Old 04-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
Porscheectomy

I can still be sarcastic and condescending without a Porsche. People just won't assume it to begin with
Old 04-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #10

Garage
We will keep an eye out for "blue2013s". You will be back.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
We will keep an eye out for "blue2013s". You will be back.
That one I don't see happening. If I buy another Boxster, unless Porsche decides to make the 982 smaller and lighter it'll be another 986. However, more likely, my next Porsche would be a pre-964 911.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #12

Hi Blue2000S,

If you and the buyer don't mind, please help us out with a market value update. How close to your asking price did it sell for ?

Bill.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #13

Apocalypse Now Intro (The Doors - The End) - YouTube
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3 View Post
Hi Blue2000S,

If you and the buyer don't mind, please help us out with a market value update. How close to your asking price did it sell for ?

Bill.
I don't mind. I'll let Mike decide if he wants to reply with the number.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
I don't mind. I'll let Mike decide if he wants to reply with the number.
$17500. If it was too much, it's just the latest in a line of cars that I paid too much for ... and never regretted.

It was worth it to me in order to get such a clean, low mile, intelligently modified car that had important things like the IMS bearing already taken care of ... and blue2000s has a lot of the same automotive philosophy that I do with respect to low mass being it's own reward. The car is not loaded down with options,
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubinski View Post
$17500. If it was too much, it's just the latest in a line of cars that I paid too much for ... and never regretted.

It was worth it to me in order to get such a clean, low mile, intelligently modified car that had important things like the IMS bearing already taken care of ... and blue2000s has a lot of the same automotive philosophy that I do with respect to low mass being it's own reward. The car is not loaded down with options,
I think you did just fine---it seems to be a well-taken care of machine, with some good features and not a lot of 'fluff'. I suspect you won't regret this purchase either...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:19 AM   #17

Quote:
The first impressions that I had of the car were all cemented over 6 years and 11,000 miles.
Should have drove it more. This might be a good strategy if you get an F car. Not so good if you move to an air cooled Porsche.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #18
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
Should have drove it more. This might be a good strategy if you get an F car. Not so good if you move to an air cooled Porsche.
My uncle's '77 with 55,000 miles would be proof to the contrary.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #19
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
My uncle's '77 with 55,000 miles would be proof to the contrary.

Even after you sell it you face scrutiny, be happy and healthy. When I sold mine I told myself one has to go for another to arrive, something will come your way.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #20
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubinski View Post
A very fair price for a car that is clearly well maintained, not flogged, and has updated IMS and suspension.