Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #1

Radiator fluid leak

Whilst using my Boxter on a track day, Ltres of radiator fluid poured out from in front of the right rear wheel as soon as I returned from the race track into the pits. Additionally, there was radiator fluid sitting on top of the recess where the oil and water cap is located. After letting the car cool down I topped the radiator back up with tap water and drove home without any leaks. What happened at the track and what do I need to do to prevent a recurrence?

NC200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #2

Sounds like a bad cap. Overflow is in front of the right rear wheel. Fluid comes out of the cap and drains out just to the right of the oil cap. Fluid got hot and expanded. Old cap couldn't hold pressure.

John
jrj3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #3

Could be a cap, could be air in the cooling circuit, or if its an older car, the coolant tank could be cracked. Pull up the carpet in the trunk and see if there is coolant on the trunk floor. If there is, its the coolant tank. Look for leaks in the entire cooling system. That means getting under the car and checking all the hoses and radiators.

If there are no visible leaks, bleed the cooling system. If you don't know how to bleed the cooling system, look it up at the Pelican site or Pedro's Technolab site. Don't fool around with overheating in these cars. A brief overheating episode can lead to catastrophic engine failure.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000