Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #1

Convertible top issue - Clamshell not closing completely on one side.

Hello all,

I've got a strange issue with my convertible top. Recently the cables which drive the top snapped and were replaced by my mechanic. However when I got the car back I noticed that there was a bit of a rattle on the right hand side (RHD drive car) behind me every time I drove over bumpy surfaces (ie cobblestones).

On closer inspection I noticed that the clam shell on the right side of the car while seems to have fully closed, hasn't really closed completely by only about a few millimetres. I can lean on it and notice there's a lot of give compared to the left side which doesn't move in the slightest.

I took it back to the mechanic and he sorta adjusted the rubber stopper so that it was a little higher and also replaced one of the arms which was bent. This reduced the rattling from the clamshell when the top was up however when the top is down there's much more give and the rattling occurs. I'm going to take it back to the mechanic again but would appreciate some suggestions as to why this is so. The left side of the clamshell is rock solid when closed but the right side definitely allows you to wiggle it up or down.

Btw, I've got an '03 Boxster.

Phuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #2

It sounds like the cables need a little fine tuning adjustment, just stay on your mechanic until he gets it right. From what I understand, it is somewhat of a PITA to get all of the cable adjustments just right.

I recently had a new top put on my 2001 S and it will be going back for some minor adjustments well.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #3

Thanks for that. Have read some of the posts on how to adjust it yourself and if all else fails I might give it a go. However I guess I'm paying the mechanic for his services right? The garage is also a Porsche exclusive one so I would hope they would figure out the issue.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Herr Geschwindigkeit

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to silentfrosty
The issue could also be that the push rod on that side isn't adjusted properly.

There is a nut that you can loosen to adjust the push rod that is connected to the clamshell so the clamshell will close tighter. Without seeing it in person it is hard to tell, but it is something to check. You said it's a porsche shop, so they should of checked this already...

This is the nut/push rod I am referring to
silentfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #5

Just an update on it. I got it back from the mechanic and he's told me that the right side is out of alignment because several parts may be slightly bent. This may be due to something that had happened when the top had originally broken down due to one of the cables snapping. I had inadvertantly tried raising the top where one side would raise and the other didn't. I may have caused the damage and misalignment then.

He's managed to remove most of the ability of the clamshell to wiggle when the top is down, however when it is up, the right side still has a bit of play. I have adjusted the hexagonal stopper on the right hand side so that the clamshell pretty much lowers to the same level on the right to match the left however you can still wiggle it once it is down. Therefore I don't think it's an alignment issue but another part which holds the clamshell rigid when it is closed.

Thanks for the suggestion about the pushrod. I think that may help.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentfrosty View Post
The issue could also be that the push rod on that side isn't adjusted properly.

There is a nut that you can loosen to adjust the push rod that is connected to the clamshell so the clamshell will close tighter. Without seeing it in person it is hard to tell, but it is something to check. You said it's a porsche shop, so they should of checked this already...

This is the nut/push rod I am referring to
The pushrod in the photo only acts on the canvas portion of the top.

The pushrod that acts on the clamshell is the black "hydraulic" pushrod.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #7

Lightbulb Twist

When the cables which drive the top snapped the clam shell probably got twisted, or when you tried to put it up. This happens to people who use the one-touch automatic top.
Sumflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
Herr Geschwindigkeit

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to silentfrosty
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoir View Post
The pushrod in the photo only acts on the canvas portion of the top.

The pushrod that acts on the clamshell is the black "hydraulic" pushrod.

Regards, Maurice.
my bad lol. Mine has been disconnected so long I guess I forgot which goes where :-/
silentfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #9

Garage
It honestly sounds like the two transmissions are just out of sync a bit; you can unhook the cable from one, and briefly press the button to move the top, get them aligned (use a tape measure to verify they are at the same location; Wayne's book has a good write up on how to adjust the clamshell / top transmissions.

1) unhook the cable from one side of the convertible top motor, and turn it with a drill (or just use the top button to turn the still connected one)

2) repeat until they are the same height:

Oh, and Buy Wayne's book!

Last edited by 2003S; 04-05-2012 at 07:17 AM.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote