Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #1

Autohouse West and the PPI from hell

Back when I was looking for a 986, I found one online (cars.com) at a SoCal dealer called auto house West (AHW).

This is 1. Why you should ALWAYS get a PPI, and 2. Why you should never shop from AHW AND discourage your friends and family from going there as well.

I found a car I was interested in:
2002 Porsche Boxster Base, $14,445 - Cars.com
Sorry the link is so large.

I current live 200+ miles away so I did a lot of my searching and deciding via phone. I found this car and called and asked many things but one thing specifically - If the car was at stock ride height (it does NOT appear so in the pictures, but it could've been a perspective thing). I was told explicitly that it was all stock, and that it was in good shape. So I had Hergesheimer Motorsports (the best SoCal 986 guys I know) do a PPI and get back to me. Mind you during this time I had put a small deposit down just to hold the car (about 1k) under the premise that it was stock and I was very interested in it. Needless to say I got my deposit back.

Check out this report and try not to die of laughter (or anger I guess):

dblaalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Wow! That might be the single worst PPI that I've ever seen - drop links cut off? Cardboard used to tighten the fit of the front hood? No cats?

And yes, the guys at HRG are great.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #3

Wow! All I can say is WOW.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
$250 well spent and a bullet dodged. Whew!
Old 03-29-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
WV Boxster

Garage
Had a similar experience in Columbus,Ohio. Wife was looking at a Audi TT and talked back and forth for three days emails, pics everything. We put deposit on car and then drove up to purchase. What a shock, wife was so pissed- it had a door ding (we was told on phone it was the lighting in the room on the pics) that was thru the metal and was starting to rust. That was the best part, the car went down hill from there.

The good thing about this trip- on the way back home we found my new Boxster.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #6

Garage
Smart move ! They're sharp people at Hergesheimer Motorsports .
Old 03-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #7

You surely can see it was lowered...those guys never put it on a lift to see what was what. And, I bet they didn't care...they just wanted to turn it and make some money. A major headache avoid by you.:dance:

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #8

I'm impressed, a dealer that conducted an honest to goodness PPI.
Never seen one so thorough!
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #9

Garage
Stories like this make me not feel so ouchy about buying my 2000S from a Porsche dealer. I felt that I paid more for it there than if I were to buy it from an indy. It came with 3 pages of maintenance items that had been performed before they put it up for sale. They also gave me a year bumper to bumper wtty. I tested it a couple of months into ownership. Cam tower seals started leaking. They replaced them and all seals in the area, no questions. Gave me a new Benz as a loaner for 2 weeks too! Scholfield Porsche of Wichita.... (no affiliation)

dblaalid: thanks for posting this. What a nightmare!
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #10
Carnut

Wow, another PPI story.....
Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #11

Wow! I'm impressed by the thoroughness with which the PPI was performed! When I bought my Cayenne, I had a PPI done at Pasadena Rusnak. I was pleased, but it was a standard inspection, which wasn't a bad thing since the Cayenne was obviously immaculate.

But this?! Wow, the detail!

I'm hoping a 986 solo or spec car is in my near future. If so, I just picked my shop!
Boxster_S_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #12

Yeah the guys at Hergesheimer will have my business for the remainder of my Porsche ownership (the rest of my life). They are very nice and incredibly knowledgable when it comes to the 986.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #13

Interesting that the free car fax on the dealer link shows the car to be accident free and all on the up and up.
RobbieKnobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieKnobbie View Post
Interesting that the free car fax on the dealer link shows the car to be accident free and all on the up and up.
Pay cash at the body shop and it never gets recorded. Show me the carfax remains what it's always been, a weak measure of a car's integrity.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #15

my car had some hail damage in the past so it required some paint work, my carfax says "involved in a natural disaster" lol (still a clean title though, not branded)
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #16

dblaalid, I see you are from SLO. Are you planning to drive to Lake Forest every time you need work on your car? Isn't that about a 5 hour drive?
surf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #17

It's about a 4 hr 10 min. I usually make it in about 3.5hr though. I have other reasons to head back down there (friends, family) other than the car.

Major work that requires immediate attention I will consider a transport service or the local porsche guys at SGS. Other minor things I will take to Hergie's shop. They said they'd even put me back up on a train (there and back, and cover it) if it was going to take a while. Can't deny customer service like that.

Tags
autohouse , ppi , socal , west