986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Women Owners in Seattle (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3463)

Leslie 08-19-2005 12:45 PM

Women Owners in Seattle

How many women are on this site?

Currently we have started a sub group in PCA NorthWest Region for us.
So if your female and you own your own porsche drop me a post.

We meet once a month outside of the PCA Club.

Boxtress 05-10-2006 08:16 PM

Women Boxster owners

Yep, well I have one, but I'm in Iowa. I have a 944, too.

fab 05-11-2006 12:13 AM

I'm a female owner too but in Boston...

denash01 05-11-2006 11:52 AM

I have an 01 Boxster.... but I'm in Houston.

MNBoxster 05-11-2006 12:43 PM

Hi,

Oh God! Say it ain't so... a Femi-Boxster Movement? Why do you feel it necessary to set yourselves apart from other Boxster Owners and PCA Members?

I mean we're all Vertebrate, Bi-Pedal, Mammals which own Boxsters, isn't that commonality enough?

I'm just as comfortable after a good run in the Boxster with a cup of Chamomile Tea as I am with a Glass of Fermented Barley. If I were any more in-touch with my Feminine Side, I'd be arrested for Lewd and Lascivious Conduct... ;)

Personally, I don't subscribe to the myths that Women make poorer Drivers, or are Mechanically Inept. I truly believe that Shirley Muldowney, Lyn St. James, Janet Guthrie, Danica Patrick, Erin Crocker, Katherine Legge and a host of others are the Real Deal - the Equal of many of their competitors and better than most.

We need more Coming Together in this World and less Division. Women may be from Venus, and Men from Mars, but our Cars are all from Finland, surely we cannot be that Far Apart! ...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Porschekid 05-11-2006 12:50 PM

Women don't know how to use the internet... i'm going to need some pictures for confirmation.
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/ima...s/peepwall.gif

bigislandboxster 05-11-2006 01:21 PM

Women may be from Venus, and Men from Mars, but our Cars are all from Finland, surely we cannot be that Far Apart!

Actually, my Box is from Stuttgart :D ......But I hear ya Jim!

LOTS of hits on this thread tho.....hmmmm.......

JP-s-in st. louis 05-11-2006 01:41 PM

As soon as OUR car is up here my fiance would love to hook up. I will e-mail her this thread.

Jeph 05-11-2006 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigislandboxster
LOTS of hits on this thread tho.....hmmmm.......

Holy cow, you're not kidding! This has to have one of the highest views to reply ratios ever!

I didn't think there was any estrogen on this board at all. I guess there are a couple drops here and there.

Brucelee 05-12-2006 05:19 AM

I disagree! Women are worse drivers than men. Especially those in the SUVs, doing their makeup, on the phone while turning around to reprimand the kids in the back.

Take it from a motorcycle rider, this is no joking matter!

:rolleyes:

Brucelee 05-12-2006 08:22 AM

In most states, the govt would not allow woman only rates. That would be sexist.

I stand by my observation but am not wed to it.

:)

SD987 05-12-2006 08:34 AM

...But on the flip side, you rarely see a woman doing alot of the **************** on the road that men frequently do, such as street racing and other alpha-male hijinks. In general, I'd say women are not overtly aggressive drivers, just passively poor with maybe 1 in 35 actually able to operate a stick-shift without jacking things up too badly.

Excepted from the above are any female forum members, of course. :)

Brucelee 05-12-2006 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
...But on the flip side, you rarely see a woman doing alot of the **************** on the road that men frequently do, such as street racing and other alpha-male hijinks. In general, I'd say women are not overtly aggressive drivers, just passively poor with maybe 1 in 35 actually able to operate a stick-shift without jacking things up too badly.

Excepted from the above are any female forum members, of course. :)

I think this is a valid generalization.

The WORST drivers IMHO are 18-30 yr old males who live in CA and drive RICERS and SPORTBIKES>

Don't get me started!

:troll:

Porschekid 05-12-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbth
BTW, Insurance Companies are in the business of pricing risk.If women added a significant risk premium to the policy, they would surcharge , just like they do for young drivers , DUI ,speeding tickets etc.I am sure many statistical analysis by gender have been done.

It couldn't be done... too much protesting would result. That would be like if a study showed that African Americans were 25% more likely to get into an accident so they raised their rates. It wouldn't exactly go over very well. They can justify age by inexperience... try justifying driving ability related to gender or race and not sounding like a bigot.

porscheracer 05-12-2006 10:15 AM

babe + porsche

I would love to see more babes driving Porsche in NYC!
Two months ago in FL I saw a babe driving a black GT3 in mall parking lot. Boy was I jealous!

:dance:

SD987 05-12-2006 10:16 AM

"Have you ever driven an SUV with 3 kids under 10years and taken a phone call.Let's see how good a driver you are.That shouldn't impugn 50% of humanity driving ability.

Poor driving skills , inconsiderate or inattentive maneuvers are equal opportunity.
Stating that women as a whole are worse drivers than men is as stupid as saying asians are bad drivers or Jersey drivers are bad drivers."

I'd suggest that if you're driving an SUV with 3 kids under 10, you shouldn't take that phone call. Studies show that driving while talking on the phone has a similar effect to driving under the influence, even if on a headset. Apparently the human mind doesn't process driving while using a cell-phone too well, and this manifests itself in driving poorly.

In general, asians are bad drivers, particularly asian women. I'm asian so I can say this with impunity :).

I grew up, went to school and lived in various points between Philadelphia and New York and would agree that Jersey drivers are bad drivers, in the overtly agressive category. As far as agression goes, I would say that Philadelphia may have the most aggressive drivers, and you're more likely to encounter road rage in that area than most.

Brucelee 05-12-2006 10:24 AM

Ok, now the women love you, mission accomplished.

I have spent my career in insurance. So, you may or may not know that insurance company rating systems are regulated by each state govt. Depending on what the insurance commissioner is up to that day, rating factors are allowed or not allowed.

For example, in MA, we were prevented from lowering life insurance rates for our female customers. It seems the commissioner felt that sex based ratings of ANY kind were sexist, even if backed up by sound actuarial data.

This can and does exist in many states for many types of insurance.

Now, back to the stereotyping!

BTW-California drivers are on average, dreadful. Ask any of them and they will tell you.

Lighten up, you will live longer, statistically speaking!

;)

Quote:

As is your statement.
Women are capable of amazing things.Surely driving is among them.
There are many horribly distracted moms driving around but no more than the dudes cutting me off in rusty pickups with the #3 prominently displayed in the rear window or the King of The Universe buzzing by in his BMW driving and checking his blackberry.
Have you ever driven an SUV with 3 kids under 10years and taken a phone call.Let's see how good a driver you are.That shouldn't impugn 50% of humanity driving ability.

Poor driving skills , inconsiderate or inattentive maneuvers are equal opportunity.
Stating that women as a whole are worse drivers than men is as stupid as saying asians are bad drivers or Jersey drivers are bad drivers.

The more a myth is repeated , the more likely it is to be adopted.
Reconsider your statement , you sound like Fred Mertz!

BTW, Insurance Companies are in the business of pricing risk.If women added a significant risk premium to the policy, they would surcharge , just like they do for young drivers , DUI ,speeding tickets etc.I am sure many statistical analysis by gender have been done.

bigislandboxster 05-12-2006 10:35 AM

Wow, this thread took a turn :rolleyes:

Hell, it would be easy for me to say women are worse drivers....2 weeks after bringing my car here from Hawaii, my mechanic gets rear ended in my car by a woman driving an Escalade at a stop sign...She was checking her OnStar because she was lost ....I've seen both sexes do some pretty stupid/dangerous things behind the wheel. Bottom line.....Pay attention to just driving! Don't drive offensively!...and if you are going to take chances, do it somewhere where you won't harm or kill someone else.....preferably on a race track somewhere....

Peace all! :D

porscheracer 05-12-2006 10:38 AM

what the f***k? asian bad drivers?

Quote:

What would contribute to this alleged subpar driving ability for asian women?

Obviously, you not to bright. T. Sato Jap Formula 1 driver!
In a couple of years, you will see more Asian professional racecar drivers in F1, Lemans, etc.

Five years ago, I was in Limerock Park participating the skipbarber race weekend and the person who held the track lap record was a Jap...

Don’t even get me started with Motorcycle racing….

SD987 05-12-2006 10:50 AM

What would contribute to this alleged subpar driving ability for asian women?

A few factors...and I'll focus the generalizations on California asians (cuz we're thick as flies out here), although their traits are manifested in asians from other parts of the country to varying degrees.

A good number of asians are relatively FOB ("Fresh Off the Boat") so there is an unfamiliarity with American drivers, regulations, locations etc. If you transplanted America's drivers to another country, they would probably be viewed as "bad drivers" there too.

Asians, particularly older ones, are frequently "in their own world" where they don't pay as much attention to what's going on around them from a socio-interaction point of view. For example you could walk around in a crowded Chinese market in LA and be bumped into by a gazillion people and not hear a single "excuse me" or "sorry bout that". Translate that behavior to the road...

Asian driving behavior tends to be polarized between overtly agressive drivers (the VTEC crowd) and the absurdly timid (mostly asian females). As far as vehicular mayhem, I'd reckon that absurdly timid will actually get you into more accidents than overtly agressive.

In addition, asian women accumulate less wheel-time than their American counterparts and don't enjoy driving as much; preferring to be driven.