Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #1

New To The Site - Harness Question

Hi All. I'm new to the site.

I have a 03 Boxster that I'm using for street and autocross. One thing I'm finding is that I just can't seem to keep my butt in the seat. I'm fighting hard to just keep myself stable in the car. So I'm looking to figure out a good way to put a 4 point harness in the car for relatively cheap. But I also want to be able to put it in easily and take it out when not going to an event. Any ideas would be awesome.

I'm also in the process of building a trailer hitch for the car so I can pull the tire trailer I just finished putting together. I'll post pictures of the project as I make some progress.

Anyway, any info on the a 4 point harness would be much appreciated and I look forward to joining the discussions around here, Thanks!

jaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #2

You don't want to use a harness with a stock seat as there are some safety issues, all you can do is sit closer and really jam yourself in the seat with your foot on the dead pedal. If your sliding around the best answer is to swap in a proper race shell.

Mostly stock... except for all the things that are changed.
www.dexterautosport.com

http://www.pbase.com/image/89146172.jpg
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaym View Post
I'm also in the process of building a trailer hitch for the car so I can pull the tire trailer I just finished putting together. I'll post pictures of the project as I make some progress.
Be sure to look at Willwood -- his hitches look fantastic IMO.

Willwood System - Porsche Hitches and Bike Racks
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #4

Holding myself in the seat with my left leg is what I have been doing but it doesn't help you when you are trying to left foot brake. That's why I'm on the trail for a different rig.

And yes, I have looked at the Willwood System. I like his setup a lot. I just can't pay for it right now so I'm going to fab up my own bar in a similar fashion.

Thanks for the replies fellas.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Consider using a CG Lock on your stock belts. It will hold you in much better for AX but is no substitute for a racing seat and 5 pt harness. A 4pt is not currently legal for competition in PCA on the west coast so check your rule book first before buying.

CG-Lock Autocross/Solo Driving
Old 03-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #6

Good point, I'll look into that. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #7

The other thing you can do is buy some shelf liner. It is mesh and kind of sticky. It makes a big difference if you are sitting on leather seats!
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

I had the same situation;

You can't use an over the shoulder racing harness with the stock seat because the shoulder harnesses will be pulled too far apart as they come over the outsides of the seat and might allow you to slide out of the harness in a incident. The shoulder harnesses need to come nearly straight over the tops of your shoulders to work properly - which is why almost all racing seats have cutouts or harness holes.

Also, a four point harness will not keep you from submarining out from under the harness.

Also, almost no organized groups (PCA, POC, NASA, SCCA, etc) will allow you to run a four-point harness.

So, the only real option to install a harness is to get a racing seat and a five-point (or 6-pt) harness. You can easily swap the seat out between events if desired.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #9

The CG-Lock will plant you a little firmer in your seat, but at the end you won't be happy. You need a sport or racing seat with holes for the 5/6 point harnesses.
I personally think that swapping seats is a major pain the in behind, so better get something in which you feel comfortable all summer.
I just installed GT3 replica seats, before that I had a Momo seat (driver only) which I had covered with black leather, so that the two seats looked kind-a alike
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
I personally think that swapping seats is a major pain the in behind, so better get something in which you feel comfortable...
Swapping the seat is an option .... but I installed a Sparco Pro2000 Plus and its so comfortable that I have never taken it out of the car in between track events (depsite my planning to do so before I got the racing seat). In fact, I'm having a matching racing seat installed on the passenger side today.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #11

Interesting, thanks fellas. I will look into other seats. I'll also check that CG-Lock out. And I love the shelf liner idea. Thats brilliant. I'm going to try that next. Thanks guys.