Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2005, 10:13 PM   #1

Double-DIN stereo possible for a Boxster?

If I remove the cupholders above the Becker CDR-220 in my 2001, will that (and removing the Becker) allow a double-DIN stereo to fit into the Boxster?

socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:21 AM   #2

yes it's possible, I have seen it on another forum,
here is a pic
jpcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:54 AM   #3

Talking

I have to say, that looks strange to me! Perhaps I will get used to it!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:19 AM   #4

I've done some investigating on this also. The shops have told me that the opening is slightly larger than double-DIN so a surround a bracket may have to be fabricated. If it's a shop of the caliber you should be taking a Porsche too, they should be able to handle it.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:30 PM   #5

Much appreciated guys.

I'm contemplating putting in one of these (Pioneer Avic-D1):

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_3151_218219118,00.html

If anyone knows any more about that, I'd be keen to hear about it. It won't be out until later this year.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:15 AM   #6

That's one of the ones I was looking at too. The only negative thing I heard about them is that they will be using the gyro instead of the parking brake wire to defeat DVD playback while rolling - you won't be able to bypass this. So your passeneger won't be able to watch a DVD while in transit. If this isn't a big deal, then go for it - it's supposed to have the best navigation of all the aftermarket units.

I was looking at the Eclipse unit... I thought it sounded a bit nicer and it has an available hard drive for map and mp3 storage.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBoxster
That's one of the ones I was looking at too. The only negative thing I heard about them is that they will be using the gyro instead of the parking brake wire to defeat DVD playback while rolling - you won't be able to bypass this. So your passeneger won't be able to watch a DVD while in transit. If this isn't a big deal, then go for it - it's supposed to have the best navigation of all the aftermarket units.

I was looking at the Eclipse unit... I thought it sounded a bit nicer and it has an available hard drive for map and mp3 storage.
You may be thinking about the AVIC-N2, the single-DIN with the flipout screen. Sadly, the D2 won't play DVDs at all. But then I doubt I'd be sitting in the Boxster watching DVDs with a widescreen surround sound home theatre system at home. The Eclipse unit seemed nice but I believe it did something silly like not displaying the MP3 file names during playback (unless things have changed and they have a new model out now.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:29 AM   #8

It is true that the opening is slightly largeur than a double din, you can see it on the picture below the "radio" there is a little gap, should be easy to fill up, in with it fits perfectly.

too bad the pionneer doens't play dvd's!

I think alpine should come up with double din unit in a couple months or so, since the other brand already have it! And the alpine one will for sure be a top unit!
Old 04-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #9

Hmmm, seems the pre-release info I got on the D1 is different from what Pioneer has actually released.. Good to know. This unit probably just got crossed off my list
Old 08-19-2005, 03:01 AM   #10

finally bought a kenwood ddx7025, still working on the setup, should come out really nice, I did paint the upper center console glossy black to match the unit perfectly (i hope), I'll try to post some pics next week.
console is still drying and has to be polished before installation.