Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2005, 09:28 AM   #1

New '06 Boxster S: Stuttgart or Finland?

I just picked up my new '06 Boxster S in late July. It is my 1st new Porsche (although I've driven others for >30 years) and it is wonderful! I was curious as to where it was built. The 11th digit in the VIN number is an S, which as I understand it means it was assembled in Stuttgart. However, the top of the window sticker says "Final Assembly Plant: Uusikaupunki, Finland". Which one wins?
Frank

frankkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:59 AM   #2

Do you have a picture for this trivia link? http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3866&st=60

Might not even be a 2006.

My dealer has had a rash of cars with incorrect window stickers. That 2005 with a 2006 sticker is still waiting for the correct sticker. They have had cars with various options listed on the sticker but not on the car, and options on the car but not listed on the sticker.

Then there was this oops delivered to my dealer last year.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:50 PM   #3

Hey, it's that new Sixtronic option!
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:34 PM   #4

The "S" in your vin means that your car was built in Finland. It would start with a "W" if it was Germany.
joeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeker
The "S" in your vin means that your car was built in Finland. It would start with a "W" if it was Germany.
My '06 has a "U" as the eleventh digit and the window sticker indicated it was built in Finland. I would think the "S" in your VIN would indicate it was built in Stuttgart.
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:34 AM   #6

I'm pretty sure it is an 06. I ordered it (by changing an existing dealer order to inventory) in May '05 as a July '05 build, which as I understand it should make it an '06. It was actually built in early July from what I can tell. The 10th digit of the VIN is a "6", which I believe designates the model year (based on the old 986faq.com decoding) and appears to translate to 2006. The sequence number is 30081 (I can't explain the 3, but other than that it looks very early in the production run, and therefore not a late '05). In addition the window sticker says 2006 at the top. All of the options I ordered appear to be on the car as well as the sticker (I ordered a modest set of options).

On the 11 digit, the old 686faq.com decoding says that S = Stuttgart and that U = Uusikaupunki (Finland), which would appear to make a lot of sense (of course choosing an easy decoding isn't always a German characteristic-). This matches one of the other posters. Does anybody else wtih a 987 ('05 or '06) have an S in the 11th digit of the VIN, and if so what does the top of your window sticker say?

I'm not all that hung up about this, just curious.
Frank
Old 08-18-2005, 07:52 AM   #7

I definitely have an '06 and the 10th digit is a 6. I'm pretty sure you have a Stuttgart built '06.

Do you have the smart passenger airbag with the indicator light on the console? Does your owner's manual material (maintenance book?) that says Cayman on it? I think these are clear indications you have an '06.
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:41 AM   #8

Do you have a scan of the sticker for the trivia link?

Compare the VIN on the window sticker, windshield, and black door sticker. The door sticker will also tell you the month and year the car was built.

From what you said so far you have a German 2006 and there is a mistake on the window sticker. This sticker is put on at the port to comply with US law.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:26 AM   #9

I (apparently) have the "smart" airbag with an indicator on the console. The light is lit when I place a relatively heavy briefcase on the passenger seat. Was that not on the 2005 models? The sticker (of course) charged me the 2006 base price, which was up 2.8% over the 2005 price. I'll have to look at my maintenance manual for the Cayman reference.

I don't have a scanner handy, but I'll snap a JPG of the sticker. Can I just post it to Renntech, or what? I'll also verify the VIN on the window sticker matches that on the car in both places (it never dawned on me they might not match).

I think that as long as a 6 as the 10th digit indicates a 2006 car and I have a 6 (on the car as well as on the sticker) it is pretty clear that mine is a 2006. I didn't realize that so few Boxsters were being made in Stuttgart (apparently just enough to convince Porsche they could build them there if there was a bust in the Finland factory). If that few are made in Stuttgart the POE process which applies the US window sticker may just assume they are all made in Finland (explaining why mine says Finland on the top in spite of the 11th digit being an S).

Frank
Old 08-18-2005, 06:09 PM   #10

The VIN on the car (both places) matches the one on the sticker, so I'm pretty sure it is a 2006. My maintenance manual includes the Cayman, so that adds a bit more certainty. I took a picture of the sticker. I wasn't sure how to post to Rennlist, so here it is.
Frank
Old 09-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #11

I find it interesting that the window sticker indicates that the mpg was reported over 60 mpg. I never got anything over 30 with my 99.
Heated Seats / Cruise
Traction Control / Factory Hardtop
Bumper Plugs / Zaino Z2 Z6 Z8
jci-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jci-joe
I find it interesting that the window sticker indicates that the mpg was reported over 60 mpg. I never got anything over 30 with my 99.
That's not what it says... please re-read
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:52 PM   #13
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Do you have a picture for this trivia link? http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3866&st=60

My dealer has had a rash of cars with incorrect window stickers. That 2005 with a 2006 sticker is still waiting for the correct sticker. They have had cars with various options listed on the sticker but not on the car, and options on the car but not listed on the sticker.

That's a 1-off that would probably (hopefully) never be seen again. I bet in 20 years that car would be worth a good deal of $$$.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants

Can anyone here please explain the steering wheel? Thanks!
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:27 AM   #15
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12
Can anyone here please explain the steering wheel? Thanks!
JCL12, the steering wheel is for a Tiptronic. The car is a 6-speed manual.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:33 AM   #16

The sticker on the inside of the door frame should be accurate.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote