Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #1

Today was a first....

So today my wife decided to go through her shoe collection today, so we could take some stuff to Goodwill. While my daughter was sleeping, I grabbed to garbage bag full of shoes and clothes, stuck in the frunk, and drove to our local goodwill in the Boxster. As I pulled up behind an old dodge caravan, the donation guy came out and states, "wow!! That is one awesome Ferrari". I explained that it was actually a Porsche. He then proceeded to say, "are you sure? It has a horse on the hood.". I stated that I was pretty sure it was not a Ferrari, but thank you for the compliment. We had our poor FJ Cruiser confused for a PT cruiser by the loan officer at the credit union, when we first purchased it, but I have never had a Porsche confused for a Ferrari to date.

Just curious if others here have experienced similar situations of confused identities.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #2

Garage
While my wife and I were out shopping we got separated. I came up behind her and gave her a slap on the rear...yea you got it...it wasn't my wife. She was the same hight, wearing the same coat, hair color and Levi's. I was mortified and totally apologetic.

I quickly found my wife and made tracks outta there. Come to think about, she did have a smaller butt.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #3

That made me laugh so freakin' hard. Thanks guys.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnoice View Post
Just curious if others here have experienced similar situations of confused identities.
Happens every time I take the polished guard red 986 on the streets here in Shanghai. I get to roll right next to hundreds of people and I'm near-to-fluent in Chinese. The comment that I've heard most frequently is the girl saying to her bf "when are you going to buy me a Ferrari" (Whoa Ferrari ni mai yi ge gei wo hao ma!)

Cars were introduced only ten years ago in China so. I mean by cars... Buicks and Vw Santanas only. But given the population here, the group of car lovers (porsche aware) is possibly twice bigger than the whole Canadian population! So on that, were okay

"Ferrari... wroum wroum wroum" a guy told me at the petrol station a week ago I think. Had a spontaneous burst of laugh... mean I know but it was funny you have to admit
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #5

Yeah, it happened once to me.

As I recall, I went to some place that sold & repaired vacuum cleaners, to pick up some part or other to fix a vacuum of ours. There was a good-sized window in front, and the guy behind the counter saw the Box sittin' out there.
"Is that your Ferrari out there?"
"The grey one?" I asked.
"Yeah"
"That's mine." I replied.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #6

Yep, had something like that happen to me too. Was parked at a drive-in burger stand in some little town (Carmen actually), scarfing back some onion rings. An obviously rural lady came up to me and said that she and her husband were admiring the car and wanted to know if it was a Porsche or a Ferrari. She seemed like a nice person so I resisted the urge to make some smart-ass response and just answered the question and told her a bit about the car.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
Ex Esso kid

It isn't even Ferrari's family crest, the insignia came from an Italian world war I Ace. In Germany the horse represents Stuttgart.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #8

Garage
People always get my vehicle right . It's me that they're usually confused about. I'm always being mistaken for a young Robert Redford . It must be the pockmarks on my buttocks ?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #9

my wife works at a hotel and 75% of the time people dont even know what they drive! One lady called a convertible a top go down lol
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #10
recycledsixtie

Garage
The way I saw it before I bought my Boxster, any fancy car seemed an exotic whether it was a Porsche, Maserati or Ferrari. Now I own a Porsche, anybody looking for a sugar daddy would not care if they snagged one with a Ferrari or a Porsche. They are perceived as exotic, that is the car not the owner.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #11

Ah, innocence. Here in self centered, show off Miami everyone, especially women golddiggers, is intensely familiar with the years and prices of exotic cars. I wouldn't get a second look from a babe because she would immediately peg me as a loser because I wasn't driving a brand new Porsche.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Ah, innocence. Here in self centered, show off Miami everyone, especially women golddiggers, is intensely familiar with the years and prices of exotic cars. I wouldn't get a second look from a babe because she would immediately peg me as a loser because I wasn't driving a brand new Porsche.
It's the Alfa Romeo part that scares them away !
Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
It's the Alfa Romeo part that scares them away !
No way Alfa Romeo's are beautiful cars (I'ved had a 156 and most recently the GT). Not enough of them over here -- plus you get to be real good pals with all the mechanics in your area
Old 03-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobv84 View Post
No way Alfa Romeo's are beautiful cars (I'ved had a 156 and most recently the GT). Not enough of them over here -- plus you get to be real good pals with all the mechanics in your area
Back in 1994, I purchased one of the last of the 190 commemorative spiders. I'm lucky that I'm not in prison for having ax murdered everyone at Alfa Romeo North America.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobv84 View Post
No way Alfa Romeo's are beautiful cars
+ 1.. !

I drive a 3.0 Milano Verde and I love it..

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #16

No one mistook my car for a Ferrari, but in the past 17 months of ownership, I have had at least 5 people ask me if it was a 911 Turbo, including a mechanic.

Some people don't realize Porsche makes other cars besides the 911 Turbo.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #17

I can see people thinking that if their only source of information was Panorama.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
+ 1.. !

I drive a 3.0 Milano Verde and I love it..

Good for you. When I sold my Alfa, after the new owner drove away I changed my phone number and painted my house a different color .
Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #19

Garage

Yeah, I could see how people mistake a Boxster for a Ferrari , because of the horse , that's why I put a "Maui turtle" on the rear bumper - that and it
hides a scratch.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #20
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
The way I see it you qualify as a sugar daddy. Most people dont differentiate between an old Porsche and a new one. Perhaps the more sophisticated might spot the old versus the new. Just dont drive too far from Miami and then u might be safe!:dance:

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote