Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #1

No A/C

As I will be pulling my '04S from winter storage in the next few weeks, it's time to think about what to do with my dead A/C that went out last year. Fan works, but it doesn't blow any cold air- nada. Dealer wants to do a diagnostic, which they tell me will cost about $350.

Any consensus out there as to what happens to 986 A/C units over time ( i.e, am I probably looking a just a refrigerant charge and minor leak repair or an entire compressor/condenser unit? I live in MN and haven't used the A/C much at all, so it can't be dead from usage (wear and tear).

Anything I can do to figure out what's going on? Thanks,

MNICEBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #2

Get one of those refill kits with the gauge on the hose assembly and hook it up to the refill connector. It will tell you if there is any refrigerant in the system, and if is empty or low, you can refill it at the same time. Some of the versions even have a leak sealer. Usually cost about $35. If that doesn't work, then you will have to find someone else to figure it out.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #3

If you want it to work correctly you will need to pull a vacume on it before filling with the correct gas and pag oil.
Splitpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Registered Boxster abuser

pull the cover just behind the back seats. place you hand on the inner compressor wheel and see if it turns. if it does not turn that is your problem and your ac is toast. let the Freon out and pull one hose if it looks black inside (black death) everything must be replaced.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
For $20, you can't really go wrong with a refill/gauge kit. It will give you a better idea of what's going on. Most likely, its just low. Do your research and make sure the refrigerant is compatible with the existing system and any remaining refrigerant. Get a kit with sealer as you probably have a leak.

If it works for a while, then quits, take it in for servicing. This would indicate that the leak is more severe. If the refrigerant is not low, or adding doesn't make the compressor kick on, then you have a compressor failure or electrical issues.

Last edited by particlewave; 05-15-2012 at 11:25 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #6

I just had mine re-gassed. took some 300g or so. Only cost 35 euro and it's freezing inside with the a/c on!
rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #7

Why would you need AC in MN in a convertible Porsche?

Your just not driving it fast enough to stay cool.

You could remove the Windscreen if you need it cooler.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does the AC unit engage and turn with the AC on?
If not it might be the clutch magnet getting weak.

If not then http://www.discountacparts.com/addtocart~year~2004~make~Porsche~model~Boxster~des cript~A-C_Compressor~part~60-01490.asp
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 05-15-2012 at 03:44 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #8

Garage
Maybe you should just remove the whole AC unit?
I was thinking about doing that since I never use AC, not at home, not in the car, kills my sinuses. Taking it out should save a couple of pounds too. Anyone knows what's involved in removing the whole unit?
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to ABQautoxer
Why remove it when it works so well? I would definitely try charging it and if you aren't comfortable doing that, have a shop do it. I'm willing to bet thats all it needs.

ABQautoxer is offline   Reply With Quote