Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #1

Garage
Towing with a colorado

Has anyone ever towed with a Colorado pickup, Hummer H2 or GMC Canyon. They all have about the same motor tranmission and frame. The factory data says 600 pounds tounge and 4000 pounds gross towing weight. Anyone tow anything with one of these?

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #2

What do you want to know about towing with any of the above?
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #3

Just to help educate you as there is plenty of misunderstanding out there w/ regards to towing and capacity...

4000# gross towing capacity is the old * as in *properly equipped blah blah blah. The blah blah blah is important and means... Total weight of cargo + passengers + accessories + actual item being towed must not exceed 4000#... all while assuming tow vehicle has proper running gear: correct weight class hitch, trans cooler (if needed, etc.).

So, lets assume you have proper class III hitch for towing. You also have:

450# - 3 total occupants (driver + 2 pass) and on average each is 150#
500# - 'Accessories' (3rd row seats, sunroof, Nav, 2nd row A/C, DVD players, etc.)
150# - luggage/bags/stuff for occupants in the vehicle.
1100# - total cargo

Total above, 1100#, gets deducted from total gross towing capacity to find out MAX trailer weight left available. In this case it would be 2900# (4000#-1100#). With an aerodynamic load, a boat for instance, you can "cheat" a little more...

That said, the bigger issue usually isn't get up and go but rather stopping. Brakes/rotors/pads on many domestic vehicles, sans those designed for towing like F250/350s, are undersized and pretty well maxed out w/ just occupants, accessories, and interior cargo. Add in a trailer getting close to total max will overheat your brakes the first time you tow and rotors will glaze and/or warp quickly.

Also, FWIW, recommended tongue weight is usually just 10% of trailer weight for proper load distribution b/w tow vehicle and trailer... so 290# in this case (but could go up to 400# 'properly equipped'.

To play it safe, assume towing is like electrical circuits in a home... aim to not exceed 75% max capacity of weakest component (which should be the breaker not wiring).

Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 03-07-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #4

I think you are mistaken.

The Colorado and Canyon are 4 cylinder compact trucks. They can barely tow 2 jet ski's and struggle to accelerate towing 1000 lbs.

The larger Silverado and Sierra share parts with the Hummer H2. They have the same engine and frame along with the Tahoe and Suburban and Escalade and Yukon.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #5

Garage
All three in the 2005 were equiped with a 5 cylinder inline engine with fairly good tourque and HP, that compares to most V-6 engine in the 3.4 to 3.6 range. Looking at pulling a Alumna trailer with my 03 boxster totaled out weigh with minimal gas on board is 3700 +- 50 pounds. I have not purchased the trailer yet. But it would save me runnig tires to an event or getting some one else hauling them there. I don't know anyone in the area that has one who has pulled more than a utility trailer with a tractor or two four wheelers. The Alumna has a full braking system and will take an anti sway kit.

As far as the H2 I regularly camp(RV) with a person who tows a Hummer H2, same engine same transsmission larger wheels and tires I get better gas miliage on the Colorado and rub it in as the chance arises. I'm not saying they did not install other engines but there are similarly equiped ones out there. Most engine and parts searches on ebay show a cross over as well.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 03-07-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
WV Boxster

Garage
I have never had anything that small as a tow vehicle but it should work. Here is a couple of sites to help. First one is info on calculations.

Determining Vehicle Towing Capacity & Trailer Weight | Hitch Info

This is an actual chart with weights for trucks.

Truck and SUV Towing Capacity Charts

As stated the torque and hp are not the issue as far as safety it is the handling and braking. With out hills just about anything will tow your car and tires and gas and...... But stopping it and go around corners now that is the issue.

F250 and F350 have two very different tow ranges but use same engine and transmission. It is the amount of white knuckles that makes one buy bigger.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #7

Funny that you are asking this. I am boat shopping for a maybe a Bayline Bowrider and am looking at the weights of various models and trailers. I have a 2009 Chevy Colorado with the
3.7L I5 cyl engine. I will look at the manual tonight and get you specifics if you want as I need them too.

01 986 Boxster S. Arctic Silver. 6 speed manual. IMSR/RMS.
jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiba View Post
Funny that you are asking this. I am boat shopping for a maybe a Bayline Bowrider and am looking at the weights of various models and trailers. I have a 2009 Chevy Colorado with the
3.7L I5 cyl engine. I will look at the manual tonight and get you specifics if you want as I need them too.
My vehicle manual is pathetic. it gives a touge weight only. all the information I was able to get was from trailer sales places and they have a vested intrest to sell.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #9

I have a Hummer H3 with the 3.5 I5 Engine and it tows fine. Its not designed to tow huge items but we have towed a 65 Mustang on a trailer before with no problems. I have the Maunal Tranny on my H3 too as well as the upgraded suspension package so I am not sure if that makes a difference.

The aluminum trailer and boxster should be fine though. We traveled a few hundred miles that way when moving a few years ago with the boxster on the aluminum U Haul trailer and it was just fine.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
I think you are mistaken.

The Colorado and Canyon are 4 cylinder compact trucks. They can barely tow 2 jet ski's and struggle to accelerate towing 1000 lbs.

The larger Silverado and Sierra share parts with the Hummer H2. They have the same engine and frame along with the Tahoe and Suburban and Escalade and Yukon.
OOPS, You were right Wrong model should have been asking for H3
Old 03-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
Track rat

Garage
Yep, Google still works:
Top Pickup Trucks for Towing - 2005 Pickup Trucks - Cars.com

It looks like the Colorado is rated to 4K so you are pushing the envelope. An experienced tow driver on flat ground with the trailer properly loaded should be ok. A green driver with a tail heavy load might put it on the roof. I used to tow a 4000 lb boat behind a Toyota 4Runner and it worked well even over mountain passes but you had to stay vigilant. I never wanted to let the tail wag the dog so it was not a relaxed highway cruise.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #12

you can go to Uhaul.com and pretrend you are going to rent one of there aluminum trailers. If will go through a set of questions to see if you qualify to tow there trailer with your tow vehicle. If they say NO, then I would listen to what they say. I have a Dodge Dakota with a V-8 and it qualifies to pull the trailer with the weight of a Boxster, 2 people and luggage. I have a tow package with tranny cooler and Class V tow package. It is not a full size pickup and it just qualified for this weight. The Dakota with the V-8 and Tow package is rated at just over 5,000 lbs. I would think a Colorado would be borderline especially on hills.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #13

Yo jsceash. For the 2009 Chevy Colorado with the 3.7L Inline 5cyl its 5,500 lbs. Although I think
you asked about a 05 ?

01 986 Boxster S. Arctic Silver. 6 speed manual. IMSR/RMS.
jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #14

Garage
Well I did it and bought the trailer. I'm comfortably within the gross weight. Stopped at a truck stop and wieghed the whole rig. I ran fifty miles as a test on varrious roads. It has enough pull to go up hills in fourth and maintain speed well on the highway in fifth. I really believe the rear engine car
helps and I did not feal any porpusing. I'm still going to get a sway arm for added stability. I will use it more with the RV than the truck.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Well I did it and bought the trailer. I'm comfortably within the gross weight. Stopped at a truck stop and wieghed the whole rig. I ran fifty miles as a test on varrious roads. It has enough pull to go up hills in fourth and maintain speed well on the highway in fifth. I really believe the rear engine car
helps and I did not feal any porpusing. I'm still going to get a sway arm for added stability. I will use it more with the RV than the truck.
Nice, now lets see some pics of the rig all hitched up.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #16
Ex Esso kid

Many factors to consider, I used to pull this with a Mountaineer:

National Liquidators - 1997 Sea Ray 250 Sundancer, 25 ft. - National Liquidators

The thing is it was only twice a year going in and coming out, it was never fun and even though the Mercury was rated to pull more it had all it could do to pull it up a hill. A bow rider is pretty light, I'd recommend towing it empty of gas and then fuel it close to the launch. Get a trailer spare tire and mount it on the trailer. Make sure you always have the O/D button off if equipped or you will stress the tranny. If you take your time you should be just fine, you may want to add some blind spot mirrors to the side mirrors, those little stick on units aren't bad, enjoy the boating!

PS A dual axle trailer will pull and turn easier but may be overkill for a bow rider.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #17

If you get the trailer with brakes you should be fine although close to the limit. I would not suggest this to anyone but when my rover was down I towed a 70' chevelle on a dual axle bobcat tilt trailer with 81 VW pickup. The VW had a had a supercharged corrodo motor so torque was not the problem. This was very stupid and in my younger years but it sure was funny when the little truck lit it's front tires up at every intersection. It looked like a crappy tractor pull.
amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #18

Garage
Ok here it is

Old 03-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #19

Looks great!
amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Ok here it is

Nice. Really dig the custom trailer. Nice way to haul it. How is the truck? I know we have similar/same towing capacities, but my rig is MUCH heavier than yours with the same engine. Its a DOG for me but I wouldnt give it up for anything. Congrats on the sweet setup.