Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 04:03 AM   #41
l3m

Deleted post.

Last edited by l3m; 02-29-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxeer View Post
It is a good idea but I don't think the bearing design/quality can be put in relationship. As a mechanical engineer I have to choose bearing sometime and it is my responsibility to choose the right one that match my application. They just screwd the design deeply and they are ignoring it. It's already a miracle that the bearing did last 42k.

The use of a bearing was just a bad choice as it is impossible to quantify the play of it and plan a replacement before failure happens. A bearing has an L10:

Bearing Life Estimation - load and life calculations - Pacamor Kubar Bearings

Greg
That is true, and you have an off the shelf single row bearing. I'm no lawyer, but, I would think one could back door porsche through the bearing company as the original bearings are a custom design (OEM) by porsche built by NSK and not available to the public. I am sure NSK documents, emails, drawings, etc. will show the flaws of a design reported to porsche most likely before during and after the failures took place. Hence we come to the off the shelf of the single row bearing, and the replacement engine bearing, 2 different designs used at the same time, 1 design to use up stock (single row) even though it was a flawed design. I am sure that a lawsuit would have to come Texas as their laws provide for a pre lawsuit subpoena of all evidence to see if a lawsuit is viable.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #43

I went through this 2.5 years ago with my 2004, I dealt with Porsche and they agreed to provide discount on the motor but I had to get it installed at the dealer. I don't have much advice but say you have to stay calm and be patient. Try not to burn any bridges unless you have to.

Last edited by ekam; 02-29-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelyx View Post
I don't think you could sue porsche directly, you would have to go after NSK for producing defective bearings causing more than 10,000$ in damages(leading to a class action). Then NSK would probably be forced into release the info implicating porsche and THIER design of the IMS bearing. .
an interesting strategy. One often used in criminal cases. Go after the enablers who don't have the resources of the ring leader.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Old 02-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #45

I'm willing to bet NSK (or any other supplier Porsche may have used) have no details of the IMS bearing installation.
Porsche design engineers would have finalised the complete engine design and then sent out pricing enquiry's to several bearing manufacturers requesting supply and delivery costs for so many thousand of type xxxx bearings.
NSK, FAG, Timken, et al, are not players in "in house" designs (unless specifically asked), their products are catalogued & sold around the world to conform to international numbering identification specifications - its up to the design engineers at Porsche to specify the size and type of bearing to be used for the application.
To quote landrovered, The supplier is not at fault.......as long as he supplies what Porsche asked for.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #46
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

Quote:
The title says it all!

Any advice will be very appreciated.

Thanks

Greg
How long have you had this car?

Is this the same car you were thinking about buying back in December... with a blown engine?
Old 02-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy986 View Post
How long have you had this car?

Is this the same car you were thinking about buying back in December... with a blown engine?
Is this guy seriously complaining about a car he bought with an already grenaded engine? Tha same one JFP and others said wasn't worth the 13k asking price?

When you write PCNA, make sure the letter starts like this:

Dear PCNA,

I bought a car with a blown up engine. I would like you to fix it for me. I knew it was a dead roller when I paid too much for it ($13k), but I would like you to fix it for free anyway. If you do not, I will start a negative Facebook page, make goofy videos and park the car in front of the dealership because it has a blown engine...that I already knew about...before I bought it.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #48

Garage
Well if that don't beat all...
Old 02-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #49
Ex Esso kid

So, the PO sold it as a car with a compromised engine and told the truth up front? If the engine was blown how did he get any drive time? Are you guys saying he bought it as a roller and then thought he could Ralph Nader himself an engine? If so that is a classic for the ages.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #50

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/31458-porsche-boxster-s-2005-good-deal-not.html

My favorite part is where JFP tells him it is only worth $13k if it has $7k in cash stuffed in the trunk.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #51
BoxedIn

Yes I bought it toasted! but I prefer that case scenario than buying it running (almost dead) drive couple miles and then get stuck at a red light because of IMS bearing.

I think there is 0 (Zero) relationship between the life of the vehicle and if a person just start to own it running or not.

The matter is that there is a Porsche Boxster 987 with only 42k that got engine damage due to the common IMS bearing failure. And the thread topic:

How to get Porsche replace my 2005 987 Porsche engine IMS bearing failure at 42023 mi

Greg

Old 02-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #52
Ex Esso kid

Yeah that was a home run, man the reading has been fun this year... What's dumb is he got great tips from multiple sources and ignored them all. then again his initial mission was a subie swap. I guess once he found that was going to require more than a couple new bolts he bailed.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #53
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Yes I bought it toasted! but I prefer that case scenario than buying it running (almost dead) drive couple miles and then get stuck at a red light because of IMS bearing.

I think there is 0 (Zero) relationship between the life of the vehicle and if a person just start to own it running or not.

The matter is that there is a Porsche Boxster 987 with only 42k that got engine damage due to the common IMS bearing failure. And the thread topic:

How to get Porsche replace my 2005 987 Porsche engine IMS bearing failure at 42023 mi

Greg
You're funny.

How much did you pay for this car?
Old 02-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #54

I have just the solution for you.

FERDINAND GT3 RS - The World`s slowest Porsche - YouTube
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Old 02-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #55

Garage
Is it me or does this whole affair border on fraud? Call it the precursor to fraud, it absolutely shows intent to defraud.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #56

Wow, thank you OP for the entertainment.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #57

WOW! Did I just read this right?!?! Amazing.......
Old 02-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #58

This Clown's post reminded me of the "just been had" emotion that came over me over 40 years back when I opened the envelope containing my newly acquired Sea Monkeys.

Good luck with Porsche
Old 02-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #59
Matt

Quote:
The title says it all! Any advice will be very appreciated.
Thanks, Greg
My advice is to crawl back under your rock. Guys/People like you give victims a harder time. You bought a 3,000 pound paperweight and you want someone to GIVE you something? Soliciting advice to alleviate your ignorance is childish and your posting on Facebook is indeed fraud. You are not a victim. Whatever plan you had not only didn't work but it makes it harder for those who have had real losses to get any traction in a claim. Bad Ju Ju boy, bad Ju Ju. :ah:

Last edited by MileHighBoxster; 02-29-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #60
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Are you guys saying he bought it as a roller and then thought he could Ralph Nader himself an engine? If so that is a classic for the ages.
Exactly. Lame, lame.

Closed Thread