Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2005, 03:16 AM   #1

CD skips a lot

I own a 1998 Boxster,

I find that the CD player is terrible, it always skips, especially if I burn a new CD, the CD player will have trouble reading the CD in certain parts. Is it just really sensitive to little scratches and dirt? Its very annoying, having your favourite songs skipping all the time, even if you re-burn the CD

Any ideas?

aKiNa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:09 AM   #2

Try a CD cleaner disc for your unit. Cheap fix if it works.

Ditto, clean your burner also.

If you unit only skips on burned CDs, I would suggest the trouble lies in your burner.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:43 AM   #3

Use higher quality blank media. Avoid white label products.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:49 AM   #4

If you have a CDR210, it's probably dying on you. Mine did this all the time, and wouldn't really play any kind of CD unless the interior was nice and hot (which means it didn't work at all, even in the mild winters we have here in Houston)

You should consider buying a CDR220 (NOT a CDR23 as it won't work in your car) or an aftermarket head unit. The 220 will maintain the look of your dash, but is still a Becker and not that great of a unit from what I've discovered. Here's one I just found on Ebay for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-CDR-220-Stereo-CD-Player-Boxster-911-986-NR_W0QQitemZ7992935707QQcategoryZ38641QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have an aftermarket Alpine wired into my factory 4 channel amp and it's amazing... pumps out far more sound than the 210 due to better electronics (not more power) and plays MP3's burned onto CDR's... which means I can squeeze 14 albums on one CD at 192k, the highest MP3 level of recording.

Just a thought. Do try a CD cleaner as Richard suggested, but don't get your hopes up. The unit is very old and has been exposed to sun, road grime and fingers... lots of top down driving is murder on car stereos, dashes, leather interior pieces, etc.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 08-12-2005 at 06:18 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:58 AM   #5

I would second the Alpine route. I have two 911s in stock that replaced the Becher with Alpines. Sounds is MUCH better.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:38 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice, I will try a cleaner.
But I definately notice on warmer days it doesn't skip as much.
Probably will just go with an aftermarket one.

Thanks

aKiNa is offline   Reply With Quote