Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #1
2002 Boxster

2 Din Radio / Nav / Bluetooth : Suggestions

Hi, I am thinking about installing a 2 Din radio with (good) Navigation and Bluetooth.
I can find some that are very reasonably priced on the web (example below)... but would like opinions on what is the best one to get / Make and model.

Any suggestions ?

Wholesale 2 din gps bluetooth-Dropship Wholesale 2 din gps bluetooth-Discount wholesale 2 din gps bluetooth from China

Thanks
Terry

TerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #2

Installed Kenwood DNX-5160 double-din head unit with Garmin Nav, Satellite radio & iPod from Crutchfield. Bluetooth capable, but did not install yet. Used Euromotorspeed double Din installation kitAlso programmed startup screen.

Some pics:

Before:

During:

After:

Screen at startup:

I also programmed a carbon fiber looking background. Kenwood was easy to work with.

Good luck!
lilredpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
2002 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredpo View Post
Installed Kenwood DNX-5160 double-din head unit with Garmin Nav, Satellite radio & iPod from Crutchfield. Bluetooth capable, but did not install yet. Used Euromotorspeed double Din installation kitAlso programmed startup screen.

Some pics:

Before:

During:

After:

Screen at startup:

I also programmed a carbon fiber looking background. Kenwood was easy to work with.

Good luck!
That looks great!

Was it very difficult to get right ?
Was the wiring very much different ie. did you need to splice etc ?
Did you need an installation kit "Used Euromotorspeed double Din installation kit" ... don't they normally supply everything you need when you buy the radio ?
Is the Nav a cd or sd card ?
Is it lifetime maps ?

Thanks
Terry
Old 02-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #4

there are step by step guides over on renntech
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #5

I have a Pioneer AVIC 710BT
It's very nice and I heard hat the newer models (mine is like 3 years old) are even better.
The kit contains all you need and installation took me about a day
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
That looks great!

Was it very difficult to get right ?
Was the wiring very much different ie. did you need to splice etc ?
Did you need an installation kit "Used Euromotorspeed double Din installation kit" ... don't they normally supply everything you need when you buy the radio ?
Is the Nav a cd or sd card ?
Is it lifetime maps ?

Thanks
Terry
Thanks.

It was pretty easy if you have ever wired a car stereo before. The install kit was worth the money for a few reasons. The kit included a wiring harness that pluged right into my Boxster Becker/Bose system and a colored wireing diagram. They will put the kit together based on the radio going in and the wiring of what you have. So buy the kit last. They also supplied the trim piece that looks factory original. Hardest part is mentally cutting the divider between the existing radio and the cup holder. I did not have to move the climate control unit down, but that looked easy and I think the kit includes the plate if needed because it would have rounded edges in the lower location.

I wanted to keep the cost down, but also wanted a quality unit. I called Crutcfield and they had a few recommendations based on the options I wanted. I went with a 'last years' reburb model that had a warranty.

I also wanted garmin GPS and it is great in the 2-din. Maps upgrades are not included but upgradeable in the future if you get or buy them. The unit has several inputs. I used a thumb drive to load the images, same could be used to upgrade maps.

I also purchased from Ebay a bypass cable that enables GPS and videos while in motion. More so for the GPS functionality.

Another option to look at is glare, the Kenwood is great.

Good luck.
lilredpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
2002 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredpo View Post
Thanks.

It was pretty easy if you have ever wired a car stereo before. The install kit was worth the money for a few reasons. The kit included a wiring harness that pluged right into my Boxster Becker/Bose system and a colored wireing diagram. They will put the kit together based on the radio going in and the wiring of what you have. So buy the kit last. They also supplied the trim piece that looks factory original. Hardest part is mentally cutting the divider between the existing radio and the cup holder. I did not have to move the climate control unit down, but that looked easy and I think the kit includes the plate if needed because it would have rounded edges in the lower location.

I wanted to keep the cost down, but also wanted a quality unit. I called Crutcfield and they had a few recommendations based on the options I wanted. I went with a 'last years' reburb model that had a warranty.

I also wanted garmin GPS and it is great in the 2-din. Maps upgrades are not included but upgradeable in the future if you get or buy them. The unit has several inputs. I used a thumb drive to load the images, same could be used to upgrade maps.

I also purchased from Ebay a bypass cable that enables GPS and videos while in motion. More so for the GPS functionality.

Another option to look at is glare, the Kenwood is great.

Good luck.
Hi,

After a lot of thinking about it I decided on an approach for me :

Got this Garmin 1390LMT GPS unit with bluetooth, lifetime maps and lifetime traffic for $135 at Radioshack. Installed it on the left of the steering wheel.

Garmin Nuvi Portable GPS Systems, Car GPS Navigation System at g.factoryoutletstore.com

I then got this cable to link my phone to the AUX of the CDR220.

BLAU/8-POD2 iPod Adapter for select Blaupunkt Radios :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces :: Discount Car Stereo

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/33655-cdr-220-aux-iphone.html

Now I have all that I wanted in the first place for under $200.

Radio
Bluetooth
GPS
Lifetime maps
iPhone through AUX

I am very happy with this setup.

Thanks
Terry