View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #6
lilredpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
That looks great!

Was it very difficult to get right ?
Was the wiring very much different ie. did you need to splice etc ?
Did you need an installation kit "Used Euromotorspeed double Din installation kit" ... don't they normally supply everything you need when you buy the radio ?
Is the Nav a cd or sd card ?
Is it lifetime maps ?

Thanks
Terry
Thanks.

It was pretty easy if you have ever wired a car stereo before. The install kit was worth the money for a few reasons. The kit included a wiring harness that pluged right into my Boxster Becker/Bose system and a colored wireing diagram. They will put the kit together based on the radio going in and the wiring of what you have. So buy the kit last. They also supplied the trim piece that looks factory original. Hardest part is mentally cutting the divider between the existing radio and the cup holder. I did not have to move the climate control unit down, but that looked easy and I think the kit includes the plate if needed because it would have rounded edges in the lower location.

I wanted to keep the cost down, but also wanted a quality unit. I called Crutcfield and they had a few recommendations based on the options I wanted. I went with a 'last years' reburb model that had a warranty.

I also wanted garmin GPS and it is great in the 2-din. Maps upgrades are not included but upgradeable in the future if you get or buy them. The unit has several inputs. I used a thumb drive to load the images, same could be used to upgrade maps.

I also purchased from Ebay a bypass cable that enables GPS and videos while in motion. More so for the GPS functionality.

Another option to look at is glare, the Kenwood is great.

Good luck.
lilredpo is offline   Reply With Quote