Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #1

Use of car covers? Pros-vs-Cons

Use of car covers? Pros-vs-Cons. I am requesting feedback from my fellow enthusiasts if I should use a car cover? I am initially thinking mold, dampness etc., but thinking of the prevention of paint fading? Any experiences, or advice would be appreciated please!

deptotpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #2

I can't imagine a mold problem but Pro - Keeps sun and some dust off the car. Con - they can cause contact scratches even if they are small. I have one but never use it. I would if I were leaving the car for more than 6 months.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

I used mine all the time, it never marked the paint. One situation I liked to avoid was the formation of condensation under the cover. I don't care what level of stormtech the cover states it deploys when it rained I always removed it after the event to prevent mold or any other problems of trapped moisture.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #4

Depends on the type and location of use. I use one for winter storage in the garage to keep the dust off the car. But I have a simple interior car cover.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #5
WV Boxster

Garage
I use one when car is going to be sitting for a couple of days and all the time at the beach. At the beach we do not have garage and the pine sap, needles and leaves along with sun really forces me to cover it.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
Carnut

I sometimes use the OEM cover, tight fit and can be used when storing the car outside. Works well.
Since it is so tight it will leave some small scratches on the paint which can be polished out, though.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #7

In addition to the Boxster I keep a 64 GTO convertable in the garage. I try to always keep a good cover on each of them to help with the dust and provide a little protection from brushing up next to the cars, etc. If there are plastic tie down straps or buckles I cut them off so as to not scratch the paint when putting them on. Never use a cover outside as I do not want the wind to move it around against the paint.
sailing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvboxst3r View Post
I use one when car is going to be sitting for a couple of days and all the time at the beach. At the beach we do not have garage and the pine sap, needles and leaves along with sun really forces me to cover it.

I imagine the salt can't be too great for it either ? I'm sorta starting to shop for a beach cottage on Cape Cod and the one requirement I'm hanging on to is its either got to have a garage, or the land to build one on.

Last edited by jdiba; 02-08-2012 at 06:57 AM.
jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
WV Boxster

Garage
Salt is an issue that can't be resolved with a garage(completely). It is in the air and on roads, the best option is lots of fresh water. The most damage is the under carriage not getting rinsed. I only spend about half of the year in the south. I m more concerned with paint damage from the birds and trees. The sun on the interior. Also the pine needles are the worst thing for drains(gutters on houses) so I worry about rain getting rerouted into car.

That is my reasoning for using the cover out weighing the possible damage from a good fitting soft water resistant cover.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #10

Pro's:

Protects your car from sun damage, rain, snow, bird poop, and sometimes scratches from kids playing around it or people hitting their doors against it.

Con's:

Unless you buy the Porsche car cover and tie it down well, every other universal cover will just fly off with the wind no matter how much you tie it down.

Covers become weaker with time and weather. Eventually, birds will rip pieces off to use in their nest and it will rip easily.

Unless the inside is cotton, car covers can cause tiny scratches in the same way that car wash brushes make tiny scratches.

Dust. They are very dusty and dirt sticks to them. It will make your car dusty.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #11

I use the California Pop Top...covers the cabin and is made of light weight Tyvek. Keeps the interior from fading and getting to hot. Takes about 1 minute to put on and easily stores in the trunk.

I have full size that I used for about 6 months before the Pop Top. It now leaves a residue fiber dust all over the car, most likely, falling apart.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest

Last edited by jcb986; 02-08-2012 at 11:44 AM.
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #12

car has to be spotless before it goes on. Otherwise the inside of the cover gets dirty and it acts like sandpaper.

You'll do more damage touching the paint than leaving it alone. Modern paints are extremely durable. All you need to do is a seasonal clay bar cleaning and use a decent sythtetic wax every four months that you can find at most auto stores. If the car is garaged probably less frequently. It's not at all necessary to spend $100 on expensive waxes. The basic protective ingredients are found in all the big names found at Pep Boys or Autozone.

Same goes for the Canvas. Keep soap off it. Clean it and protect it with the Raggtopp kit and an OXO feather tip brush. Rinse it down every few weeks.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

The more time that the car spends covered (garage, covered parking, or car cover), the better. It will age less, stay cleaner, and look newer.

With that being said, I have a high-end car cover that fits perfectly and has a super soft lining that won't sscratch the paint or make the car dusty and I never use it. Why? To me, its a PITA to take the time to put on/pull off. Is it really that hard? Well, no, so maybe I'm just too lazy. Whatever the reason, I never use it.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #14

Wouldn't be without one. My first cover was for my navy blue Volvo. Used it for about 6 years, until I sold the car. Current one is for my arctic silver Box. Been using it for 4 years. Neither cover had a lining. Nor were they waterproof. You want the cover to BREATH! No condensation whatsoever. Neither cover scratched, would really been obvious on the Volvo. Car has to be clean before putting on. My Box cover came from Pelican, has elastic sewn into the corners, not unlike a bed sheet or mattress cover. Current cover has plastic covered steel cable which goes through eyelets, at bottom, about midway between front and rear wheels, then runs underneath car. Haven't had one blow off yet. But on occasion front or rear section will become exposed in heavy wind. Mine are washable, then run through the dryer, still looks like new. A non-breathable cover will turn some wax finishes whitish fog like. Like spilled water on a waxed coffee table. Can apply or remove cover in 90 seconds flat. Easy.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:30 AM   #15

Well, we all know a Japanese Toyota is a more reliable, dependable car, than the Porsche. We just put with, and deal with the quirks, as we all have a Porsche sickness, so was not sold on a German Porsche OEM car cover. Right now I am trying the Titan cover: Details For: Titan 4L Car Cover

So far, I can report, the only bad part is.. I cannot see her now.

Last edited by deptotpr; 02-15-2012 at 03:34 AM. Reason: sp
deptotpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #16
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by deptotpr View Post
Well, we all know a Japanese Toyota is a more reliable, dependable car, than the Porsche.
I'm not sure what that has to do with a car cover question but I've owned 4 Porsches and never had a problem or "quirk" with any of them. I guess that makes them the most reliable car on the road. "We" don't know anything about Toyotas. I've never (and wouldn't) driven one. I don't drive anything that's not completely reliable.

Last edited by MileHighBoxster; 02-15-2012 at 06:38 AM.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote