Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #1

Problem with central locking, a sensor, wiring or microswitch

So, my '97 Box has developed a peculiar fault. It goes something like this.

Sometimes, when I unlock the car, the central locking will cycle twice. I'll then get into the car, turn the ignition key and it will cycle twice again. When this happens, the light on the door lock switch on the dash will turn on and remain on. Pressing it cause the locks to cycle twice, again.

Also, the window auto-drop feature on the passenger that activates when you partly pull the door release on the inside or the outside will stop working (the actual window lifter appears to work normally at all times). And even more bizarrely, as you drive along, occasionally the locking will suddenly cycle twice and at the end you get two short toots from the horn and the interior lighting turns on for about three seconds.

What's even weirder, is that it only does this intermittently. Sometimes everything works 100% fine, including passenger side window auto drop.

One other further factor. This all began around the time I had a DAB radio wired in. Now I think I noticed a little weirdness before the DAB was fitted, but I'm not 100% clear. The DAB radio fitting involved a little control unit that hooks into the loom under the centre console and feeds the stereo via the FM-in. It also had an aerial wired in up the passenger A pillar.

At the moment my instinct is to have the DAB removed, but it's just possible the issues started before the DAB was fitted.

Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by pothole; 01-31-2012 at 04:58 PM.
pothole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #2

Update:

I now think this is a problem related to the door lock microswitch(es). Having done some research, it seems Porsche used a VW part for this, so hopefully I will be able to source a new lock mechanism without paying Porsche tax (the microswitch inside the mechanism is fixable, but it' a bit complex, so think if I can source a new mechanism for a decent price, I will do that).
Old 02-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Any chance the radio's theft wiring or switch is shorting occasionally? Its located in the lower part of the radio's frame. When the switch closes or the wire shorts to ground, the alarm is triggered.

Its plug looks like this:

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
Herr Geschwindigkeit

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to silentfrosty
Sorry to dig up a slightly old topic, but I have this EXACT same problem in my '97 Boxster. Mine rarely works 100% though.
If you have solved it, please let me know as it really sucks

This is what my car does.... if the car is locked, I put the key in the drivers side door, and when I turn it, it will only unlock that door, but not the passenger or fuel door. In order to unlock the rest of the car, I have to either open the passenger side door from the inside (which will make the car beep twice and turn on the interior lights, while you hear the locking mechanism working), or push the unlock button on the dash, which will just unlock the pass/fuel doors but not make the car beep.

This has been going on for a few years, I've just learned to deal with it since I definitely don't have money to spend on a shop to try and find the problem. The week after I got the car I had an aftermarket radio installed, so maybe that has something to do with it.
I honestly forgot about it until I got back on this forum, and was going to post a thread until I found this one.

If anyone has any suggestions or needs more info, please let me know.
silentfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #5

So, I looked into this and it turns out the 97 and 98 Boxsters used the door lock mechanism from a VW Golf IV (and various other VW group cars around that time like the Passat, OCtavia and Leon).

The part number is 3B2 837 015 A, sometimes written 3b1837015a. You could either grab one for pennies from a yard and see how long it lasts, or compare the price charged by Porsche to what VW is asking and buy a new one.