Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Ady

Unhappy Wet Carpet under driver seat, RHD.

Hi guys I have a 2002 boxster, discovered I have a leak somewhere a few weeks ago, a pool of water under the drivers seat & foot well carpet soaking, i know about the drain holes under the lid for the softop, checked them out, the one behind the drivers seat might have been blocked, not convinced though, the softop is really good condition, i have checked all round cant find any leaks, anybody any ideas??

Ady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #2

Not only check that the drains aren't blocked, but check to make sure there aren't any tears in the foam matting.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #3

The are also 3 drains in the frunk, under the panels that are next to the battery.
Take the panels off and you'll find the drains. Just did mine over the weekend because I had the same problem.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #4

Wouldn't an overflow of the front drains start to channel water into the front trunk and not the passenger cabin?

Only two of the front drains will be visible. If I recall correctly, the third is under the battery tray.

Ady, here are pics of all the drains: drainsdiagram - mikefocke2
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #5

The problem may be the foam liner in the door. Feel the bottom edge of the carpeting at the bottom edge of the door. If that is wet, then the water is leaking past that foam vapor barrirer and into the footwell.

Read more here:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/22781-drivers-side-footwell-wet.html
Attached Images

past: 2010 Boxster S

Last edited by turbo23dog; 01-30-2012 at 04:43 PM.
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #6

I chased my leak in the main drain in the foam liner. The drain is a little funnel attaching to a tube that drains water down through the body cavity and comes out in front the the rear wheel. Under normal rains, no problem, heavy down pours then I had water under the seat. Easy check is to open your top to service position and pour about a quart of water in the foam tray. Look behind the drivers seat feel where the panel meets the floor...you may feel or see it draining here into the car.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #7

I moved the tubes to be almost flush with the foam matting and then "Elmer's Glue " around the tube to seal. Elmer's did not "attack the foam". Results ? Water tight seal like your kitchen sink drain. You can pull the tubes out to feel the foam and where you need to be with the tube edge height. But first, you should unbold seat. Move back and forth to "lean" seat back to gain access to computer. Dry area, unplug computer , clean and spray connections with Fluid Film spray . I disconnected the battery after seat position was clear before unplugging computer.

Last edited by milliemax; 01-31-2012 at 01:11 PM.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Ady

Hey guys thanks for taking the time to reply & all the advice, I'll check the drains again, problem is I am in N.Ireland where it rains quite a bit so its taking ages to get the carpet dried, I have the drivers seat out at the minute for a bit of refurb therefore its the opportunity to take the carpet out & get it dried properly & hopefully see where the water is getting in.
Ady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar10dah View Post
Wouldn't an overflow of the front drains start to channel water into the front trunk and not the passenger cabin?

Only two of the front drains will be visible. If I recall correctly, the third is under the battery tray.

Ady, here are pics of all the drains: drainsdiagram - mikefocke2
Thanks for the diagrams mate! Much appreciated, so are the other advises. My Boxster is driving me crazy with the water ingress at the moment and it's not just a little leak either!

Regards to all.
bobbyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:41 AM   #10

Hi I read your plight regarding water ingress and living in the UK shows up the weaknesses with leaks. Most people look at the drains but there are a couple of other areas that need to be addressed.
If after clearing the drain holes there is still water ingress there are 2 air intake panels one on each side of the car...when the cover is removed you may find that the plastic panel behind has warped and come away from the body shell allowing heavy rain to run down the inside and it goes into the rear floor wells. This took me 2 years to discover but since they have been resealed - no water ingress! There other area is the front foot wells. I discovered that there is a spongy grommet underneath the battery tray which 'seals' the 2 heater pipes. Over time this wears and allows rain water to run down these pipes into the foot wells. I suffered 2 winters with swimming pool conditions dues to the flow of rain water. I replaced the grommet (costs only a few £s) and since then the car has remained completely dry.
reidpwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #11

Immobilizer repair

Although this post is 8 years old the issue with the Porsche Boxster, 993 and 996 all have some drain port issue. The biggest problem is knowing it's going to happen and not being able to do anything about it. A wet immobilizer from this design issue can stop your Porsche in its tracks, convertible keeps going up and down, windows moving on their own, the alarm never stops blaring!!! If you've experienced this issue or own a Porsche 986,993 or 996, you should call Specialized ECU Repair. The Stealership will suck you dry just for diagnostics and sell you a new ECU set or immobilizer for thousands if not hundreds after all labor and programming. Don't forget about towing your inoperable Porsche to the dealership. Buy their waterproof case now if your immo is dry. That way there is no chance of your cars expensive electronics going to waste. Ecudoctors.com For $1495 you get your set repaired, keys rescued, waterproof case, a 5 year warranty and a valet key with 2nd day shipping included. $150 for the case by itself. Don't DIY drain holes in your floor, it's only a temporary measure. A rusty floorboard with holes in it ain't good for value. Don't get screwed. Enjoy your Porsche worry free and get a performance tune while your at it!!! No parts necessary. Get your DME flashed and get smoother starts, more horsepower and more torque. Better gas mileage and faster throttle response. Message me if you need help with your immobilizer. This issue is terrible for such an amazing car to have this "quirk".

ECUrepairImad is offline   Reply With Quote