Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Lacrosse1

Front coil spring snapped

First a mea culpa. I really don't know anything about springs / suspension systems for the 986. I have a 2002 with 125,000 miles, and when turning a corner last week , heard metal hit the road, and when retrieved, looked like a "C".

Service manager called and said best way to deal with this is to buy after market H&R sport set front and rear, H&R street perf coil over F&R, front struts and rear struts.

He said the left front should be replaced
due to rust etc, and why not do rear at the same time.

Does this sound like good advice? Looks like $3,329 with shipping plus installation?

Thank you!

lacrosse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse1 View Post
First a mea culpa. I really don't know anything about springs / suspension systems for the 986. I have a 2002 with 125,000 miles, and when turning a corner last week , heard metal hit the road, and when retrieved, looked like a "C".

Service manager called and said best way to deal with this is to buy after market H&R sport set front and rear, H&R street perf coil over F&R, front struts and rear struts.

Does this sound like good advice? Looks like $3,329 with shipping plus installation?

Thank you!
IF you want to stiffen your suspension & ride for better handling than when your car was new, Yes. If want to restore your ride to like new & save a bunch of money, then buy good used takeoff springs etc.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Good advice? Yes and no, depending on how much you want to spend and what you want to get out of it when you're done.

If you just want to get the car back on the road, replace two front shocks with OEM replacement units and be done with it. Yes, this will leave you with new shocks on front and old ones on the rear but some people just want to know the cheapest way to get the car back on the road.

Of course, wtih 125K miles, all of the stock shocks are pretty worn out, so the next step would be to replace all four shocks with OEM replacements to even out the front to rear performance. At this level you can choose between a standard or a Sport shock without too much price difference.

The next step after that is to move up to a coil over shock with new springs. H&R are fine but there are other brands that are just good (Bilstein). Research them to detemine what you want. This is a high end suspension upgrade that will give you adjustability and much greater performance over stock. Just be sure that the ride won't be too harsh for the type of driving that you do.

The price quoted for the H&R suspension seems high when compared to a Bilstein PSS9 setup that can be purchased for ~$2,450. See reference page. Might depend on what other hardware parts are included in the H&R kit.

Just want you to know that there are a LOT of options when it comes to replacing or upgrading your suspension. I am sure that others will add even more suggestions.

References: Porsche Boxster Suspension - Page 1
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-30-2012 at 02:59 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #4

I just bought M030 springs for my 03 S. If you want my old springs (only 30k miles), I will send them to you if you pay the shipping. It maybe a week or two until I get them off though.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #5

Quote:

Thank you!
Gee, for about $2,500 you can get a nice set of KW-V3 coilovers or some PSS9's for a little less....

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Lacrosse1

Thanks for the offer. Earlier this week, I picked up the H&R option after all - the price was $1775. Will have them installed this weekend.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the offer. Earlier this week, I picked up the H&R option after all - the price was $1775. Will have them installed this weekend.
That price sounds about right! Let us know what you think of the result. I'm also looking into a suspension upgrade.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I just bought M030 springs for my 03 S. If you want my old springs (only 30k miles), I will send them to you if you pay the shipping. It maybe a week or two until I get them off though.
That was a wonderful offer. Something rarely seen in today's "squeeze a dime out of everything" world. Good on you.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:13 AM   #9
Carnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBoxster View Post
That was a wonderful offer. Something rarely seen in today's "squeeze a dime out of everything" world. Good on you.

Agreed! Did you put this into the pay it forward thread?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Lacrosse1

Complete

Thank you all for your advise. The H&R kit was installed by my Porsche dealer - $1770 for labor and various nuts/bolts etc. Overall, an expensive proposition, but feels great!