Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
WV Boxster

Garage
Hard to go back

Yesterday I had to drive wifes LR3 and it wasnot a fun experience. After driving only the Boxster for the last month and then stepping up into her land rover. Felt like I was floating all over road had to punch gas to move and then stopping, wow had to stand on brakes to stop.

Ok maybe a little extreme but after the Boxster any other car is not comparable. The handling, braking, acceleration even the sound of the engine. I really love the Boxster and see no need in other vechicles in my driveway. LOL

Old 01-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
recycledsixtie

Garage
I totally agree. I drive my wife's Camry and my daughter's Nissan Xtrail suv and nothing compares to driving my Boxster:dance::dance: I really look forward to the spring when I can open it up a bit and take the corners faster, especially the off ramps. This Boxster costs more to run but it is still worth it. I will have had this car one year in May but cannot conceive of getting rid of it. Real commitment comes in a while when I start spending money on ims and rms replacement and then I know it will be around for several years(5+!?).
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #3

Garage
I have an L322 Range Rover and switch back and forth all the time. I prefer the 986 on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and I will take the RR for the school pick up line any day of the week. I love my Porsche but in stop and go driving it is the pits and occasionally I want my wife and my son in the car with me.

I am really curious to see the upcoming Cajun, might become the next daily driver either that or a used Panamera.

Last edited by landrovered; 01-29-2012 at 06:29 AM.
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvboxst3r View Post
Yesterday I had to drive wifes LR3 and it wasnot a fun experience. After driving only the Boxster for the last month and then stepping up into her land rover. Felt like I was floating all over road had to punch gas to move and then stopping, wow had to stand on brakes to stop.

Ok maybe a little extreme but after the Boxster any other car is not comparable. The handling, braking, acceleration even the sound of the engine. I really love the Boxster and see no need in other vechicles in my driveway. LOL
That feeling of total control of the vehicle is awesome isn't it?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #5

I guess it's having a car to do each job, our LR3 is great for carrying 7 people all over the place or towing 3.5 tons, the Boxster is my personal space and is great fun, the wife's mini cabrio is for sunny days as my Cooper S for the track! We also have 3 classic minis tucked away for the future!
Splitpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #6

I hate driving my Box to work, I work on an Army post so the line to get onto post in the mornings and the traffic on the 5 after work will give your left leg a workout! The X3 is perfect for that job lol
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
WV Boxster

Garage
I have the tip and work from home and car- my license plate is "MYOFFICE". So for me it is my space, my fun, I just flat out enjoy the car.

We do use the LR3 for trips with kids. We also have the Mini S it is brand new and not much time in it but it is more the wifes fun car.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
That feeling of total control of the vehicle is awesome isn't it?
Blue, without a doubt the feeling is awesome. And yes, I'm with you as a new member of 'The Church of True Sports Car" recently Baptized. But then again; daily life / several kids / sports / school carpool tend to get in the way of my new-found theology. Not to mention nearly 1k per week miles on Midwestern Snow-Belt Pot-Hole ridden streets that can dampen Butt-3-Inches-off-the-ground enthusiasm. My King-of-the-Road view of my DD SUV does indeed have it's Merits.

BTW.. Fister Stage II's and Bilstien HD's along with ROW Springs on an Air Cooled 993 Make an everyday boy feel like Hurley Haywood with every twist of the key. :dance:
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
Blue, without a doubt the feeling is awesome. And yes, I'm with you as a new member of 'The Church of True Sports Car" recently Baptized. But then again; daily life / several kids / sports / school carpool tend to get in the way of my new-found theology. Not to mention nearly 1k per week miles on Midwestern Snow-Belt Pot-Hole ridden streets that can dampen Butt-3-Inches-off-the-ground enthusiasm. My King-of-the-Road view of my DD SUV does indeed have it's Merits.

BTW.. Fister Stage II's and Bilstien HD's along with ROW Springs on an Air Cooled 993 Make an everyday boy feel like Hurley Haywood with every twist of the key. :dance:
I contend that most people with them don't actually need an SUV. The size and weight have a tough look that appeals to most more than a small wagon or heaven forbid a minivan. Both of which have better driving dynamics inherent in lower ride height and weight. But I've proven to myself that a small wagon is all that's needed for a small family and all our stuff to get around in a climate that sees frequent inciment weather.

Last edited by blue2000s; 01-29-2012 at 10:38 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #10

I am the same as most. I have an FJ Cruiser for day-to-day errands, kids, etc.. & then.. Daddy's car Just 4 me-
deptotpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
I contend that most people with them don't actually need an SUV. The size and weight have a tough look that appeals to most more than a small wagon or heaven forbid a minivan. Both of which have better driving dynamics inherent in lower ride height and weight. But I've proven to myself that a small wagon is all that's needed for a small family and all our stuff to get around in a climate that sees frequent inciment weather.
Agreed. Small wagons make much more sense than SUV's, the wife use to have an Accord Wagon back in the mid 90's when they still made them. When your third kid comes along the practicality of a small wagon goes out the window. I do not NEED the SUV either, I just couldn't bring myself to get a minivan when the wife already has an Odyssey. Believe me, lugging 4 teenage boys (just got back from doing just that) several times a week to school for car pool or 5 neighborhood kids to select baseball practice (each with a body bag size amount of gear) gives one an appreciation for such automotive largess.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #12

I drive a jeep all winter and a lot of the summer .....and it's a big change when I get into the Boxster and head to the track..a shock actually!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
Ex Esso kid

i have a 2011 Escape and the 4WD with traction control is unbelievable, I love the thing. As all of you know I'm currently Box-less but I did get the pleasure of giving the sales representative a little of the same treatment Josey Wales got from Fletcher this morning, he'll be talking bout me at the next sales meeting...
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #14
Matt

Like many here, my Porsche is my fun/toy vehicle. I wouldn't own any primary or secondary vehicle that I didn't appreciate driving. My other vehicle has to have a purpose and be enjoyable to drive - not just exist waiting to be driven. My wife's vehicle is her vehicle and while I would never grab the keys to her Rav4, it is a wonderful vehicle, just not for me. If I didn't have a great Jeep, I would get another Cayenne.