Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #1

Aftermarket Bumpers for Boxster 986

Looking to change front Bumper for my Boxster 986 to look a little more aggressive. Been doing a lot of research. Staying away from fiberglass and going for polyurethane. Leaning towards Vfiber Polyurethane GT3 bumper. Any thoughts on quality of Vfiber? Any suggestions on other brands? Also, there's a lot of companies out there. Don't know how reputable they are. Some seems sketchy. Any recommendations? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

gusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #2

Garage
There are many myths surrounding polyurethane vs. FRP . Under ideal conditions, poly would be a better choice. Provided, however, that the part has been manufactured to fit perfectly . Otherwise, you'll be SOL. Because unlike composites, poly cannot be manipulated in a way that material can be added and subtracted in order to get an perfect fit . And, I can assure you that there are plenty of aftermarket bumpers out there that are made out of poly that fit like ******************** . On the other hand, some of the higher quality aftermarket FRP parts (I'm mostly referring to TUV certified parts) can have reasonably good fit right "out of the box" . However, with any body kit or add on part , it requires a skilled and knowledgeable auto body person in order to get an excellent end result . In any case, if you're determined to go with only polyurethane, I would strongly suggest that you source an oem bumper, or do some serious research before buying any aftermarket
brand .
Old 01-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback! Any suggestions on reputable companies?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusman View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Any suggestions on reputable companies?
There are numerous companies worth mentioning. However, if you're intent on staying with polyurethane, I would highly recommend trying to source an oem GT3 bumper, or one of my favorites - the RUF bumper.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #5

I like the gt3 style rear bumper from precision porsche and the gt2 front bumper (part of kit) from nrauto... Can anyone speak to their experience with either company? Positive/negative as far as customer service, price, and most important fit?
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551 View Post
I like the gt3 style rear bumper from precision porsche and the gt2 front bumper (part of kit) from nrauto... Can anyone speak to their experience with either company? Positive/negative as far as customer service, price, and most important fit?
Based on what I know from others who have purchased from those companies, one can expect that the parts will require an awful lot of prep work and "tweaking" in order to get an excellent fit . I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing. Rather, it's typical of most domestically produced FRP parts . Ultimately, it comes down to how much of a perfectionist one is .

Here's an example of my project . The front bumper and side skirts are from Hamann in Germany . And the rear bumper is also from a company in Germany called CSR Automotive . For the most part, the side skirts and rear bumper fit pretty well, and they didn't require that much "tweaking" . However, the front bumper, particularly the top grill (which you can see is incorporated into the design) was a nightmare to even out. As far as the little tail spoiler is concerned, in hindsight I would have been better off molded one out of FRP myself . In the end, it took many weeks of intense labor and lots of dollar$ to achieve perfection .
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #7

Very nice!!! One of the best ones I've ever seen. You're absolutely right. A lot of factors come in place. Quality, fit, finding the right shop to do it, money. I have a Black one. I'm not looking to completely modify mine. I've changed my wheels to 19" black zehn. Wow, makes a huge difference already. Based on all the research and comments I've heard, now I'm really just leaning towards adding a front lip spoiler to avoid headaches and nightmares. Having black helps a lot. You don't have to do too much to make it look aggressive. I just want it to look a little more aggressive. Found a few I'm looking at...duraflex fbr g-sport , xtreme gtx turbo and PU spider look. Any more out there that you can think of? What do you guys think?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #8

I like that! Johnny...Well done!
Old 01-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Ex Esso kid

I always liked the GT3 look on the 986

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #10

Garage
Hey Ghost,

Let me think about your offer of $80k for the Dangermobile . I'll get back to you in a few days .
Old 01-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
Ex Esso kid

Spaulding!!!! That was far too decent!! Oh no no no, you are going to have to turn up the prick meter a full twist if you think you are going to sell Porsches. How bout a Fresca?
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #12

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
so what year 996 GT3 front bumper fits the 986? the 996 had a headlight change mid-run...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #13

Garage
I believe up until 2001 (excluding turbo models) .
Old 01-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #14

Garage
hey johnny, my name is aaron. i also live in mass and am paying off my speed yellow boxster s 6 speed. love the car in yellow and really like the kit on yours. was checking the hamann website and for some reson cant seem to find where to orber or see price on it. i have owned 5 older porsches and about 10 new audis but i couldnt pass up the deal on this car so im taking the leap. if you can keep in contact with me maybe we can meet up or chat about the car and how much it cost for regular maintenance and any major problems i have to be wary of thanks
imAUDIhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #15

10 audis

I have payed for 10 Audis - but only owned one
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imAUDIhere View Post
hey johnny, my name is aaron. i also live in mass and am paying off my speed yellow boxster s 6 speed. love the car in yellow and really like the kit on yours. was checking the hamann website and for some reson cant seem to find where to orber or see price on it. i have owned 5 older porsches and about 10 new audis but i couldnt pass up the deal on this car so im taking the leap. if you can keep in contact with me maybe we can meet up or chat about the car and how much it cost for regular maintenance and any major problems i have to be wary of thanks
I sent you two pm's with no reply .