Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2005, 04:16 AM   #1

More Power + Less Weight = Fun

Saw an article on msn.autos about the new Miata. See quote below. Nice to know Boxsters are considered a benchmark.

Source: http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4023241&src=RSS

"But even with considerably more power the 2006 Miata is not going to win any drag races against competitors such as the Honda S2000 or Porsche Boxster"

power is up to 170 hp, weighs 2400-2500 lbs.

limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #2

I am a current owner of a Miata and am looking into upgrading to a Boxster. Let me tell you, every time I drive it, I ask myself do I really need a Boxster. It is so fun, light, handles great and doesn't feel slow at all. I can reliably add a supercharger for a solid 220hp on a 2300 lbs car! But in the end I think I want a more upscale, refined, and more powerful version of the Miata which is a Boxster in my opinion. The Miata is just a bit too small at times and a bit too rough and no wow factor from onlookers The new Miata is definitely very tempting though at a fraction of the cost of the Boxster. About $18k-$22k brand new!

http://www.miata.net/news/nc_images/nc04.jpg

http://www.miata.net/news/nc.html
Kan-O-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 03:37 PM   #3

Talking

The new Miata looks just great. Lot of car for the bucks!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 03:39 PM   #4

BTW-

Richard Kwei, the co-owner of this site, has a turbo miata.

I drove it and it is scary. I think it would hammer a Box (non-S) at least in a straight line. Seemed it anyway!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:37 AM   #5

The new Miata is very nice looking. I bet it is fun to drive too. At the end of the day, it is about how it makes you feel when you are behind the wheel. I drove the new Boxster S and absolutely had to have it. Coming from an S2000 (a very fun car), it is definately an upgrade. Is the "upgrade" worth the difference in price? To me it was. Both cars are fun to drive, perform well and look great, but the feeling I get when I drive my new Boxster is tough to beat at any price.

BoxsterMD is offline   Reply With Quote