Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #1

Tight ignition when cild

On cold mornings i've had a fight getting the ignition key to turn. Key slips in fine, but it's very difficult to turn. After several tries, it will turn.

After driving and during the rest of the day, the key turns fine. Any thoughts on this ?

jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

My car does the same. My mechanic told me it was caused by the mechanical portion of the igition switch which interlocks with the steering wheel. His diagnosis was that it would keep getting worse until it would be nearly impossible to turn.

I have to think that there must be something that could be lubricated in there to make it work better but I do not have a solution yet. I was going to mess around with it tomorrow afternoon.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #3

Well, I don't consider the west coast (los angeles area) cold. So, I would check with another mechanic. My car, even in the garage, is regularly in 30 degree weather and I've never felt any tightness even in my vehicles parked outside in the snow (not a Porsche). Whether it is or not, it sounds dirty.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 01-20-2012 at 06:07 AM.
DenverSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Well, I don't consider the west coast (los angeles area) cold. So, I would check with another mechanic. My car, even in the garage, is regularly in 30 degree weather and I've never felt any tightness even in my vehicles parked outside in the snow. Whether it is or not, it sounds dirty. That's after 4 Porsches and 2 Boxsters.
It was 40F on my way to work this morning which seemed "cold" to me. And my mechanic works for ALMS and GrandAM teams during the racing season so I tend to trust him. I'll let you know what I find tomorrow.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #5

I'm not suggesting your mechanic is incompetent or even wrong but; A) most mechanics don't worry or care about ignition switches and; B) these cars are driven everywhere COLD exists without issue. It's easy for a convertible car, driven topless a lot, to have grit, dust and debris in cracks, crevices and even ignition switches which can cause tight, squeaky or sticky issues that closed cockpit cars don't readily see.

Additionally, cold causes parts to shrink not expand which could make it loose or rattle before it "tightens" up. If it's problematic, you could take it out and clean it or replace it. I've never had a problem with one of mine but I have heard they can go out.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 01-20-2012 at 06:12 AM.
DenverSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
1999 base

Garage
i have the same issue

it is true that the reason for the ignition switch not to turn on is not the cold weather. its because the switch is defected and need to be replace.
the cold weather just makes it worst.
in my car, the switch works fine most of the time, but on a cold morning (and i live in Florida) it will give me problems.
the question is, if one decide to replace the ignition switch, how can the keys of all looks in the vehicle can be matched?
(assuming the new ignition switch is coming with new key blades)
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. At least I know others have seen the same. I have a spare inanition switch, the replacement version. It doesn't seem that new keys are necessary, correct me if i'm wrong.
jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #8

Buy yourself a spray can of "fluid film" and spray into the key slot (with force !!) . This will help a whole lot !!!. Also use "fluid film" on all locks, switches, battery cables and top slides , cables and linkages. This is not grease. It is "Lanolin" base lube and protector. GREAT STUFF, been using for 25 years. Max
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
Ex Esso kid

Take the switch apart as described in Bentley. One paper clip and the correct maneuvers then lubricate the parts once its apart. Did this for several years, worked perfect no new switch needed.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #10

I'll go for the switch. Boxster's ignition has 2 parts, electrical or selector switch and the mechanical assembly. Everytime you turn your ignition switch, both mechanical and electrical part moves together. So if the selector switch, which is made of hard plastic and probably copper plates and contacts, became worn out, this will sometimes crush to its others and prevent you to turn the ignition. This will also create a havoc on the multiple contacts circuitry. Like for example, your wiper will not work, headlight will not turn on, circulation fan not working, etc. The electrical part is not expensive. It is cost approximately $20.
After changing the electrical selector switch and you, still have the same problem, then mechanical part will be the culprit.
itoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #11

996 347 017 07 Steer lock assembly part # $ 168.50 Porsche OEM
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #12

I had exactly same problem when I bout my Boxster,
I changed ignition switch 12$ from online store and it fixed it..
it was my first project and it's really easy, apart from being in very uncomfortable position with your legs up for 20 min

Sasha

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote