Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #1

Would value your feedback....

Just before Christmas our team web site got hacked and damaged, and after having spent a lot of money to get it built, I decided that this time we would try to do it ourself.

OK, so I am not the worlds best web developers, but I think this is not to bad - would appreciate your feedback and comments.

CoolCava Racing | Porsche Sports Cup Scandinavia Racing Team | Home and CoolCava Racing | Porsche Sports Cup Scandinavia Racing Team | Home

Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Excellent! The site is clear and easy to naviate. There is a lot of content and its nicely organized. Looks very professional. Great job!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Carnut

Very nice, easy and clear.

Who would hack your website????
Old 01-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #4

Thank you for the nice feedback - there was a lot of cools stuff that I would have liked to do, but my skill level is just not good enough. This was the best I could do

The old site that was hacked was a professional site built in PHP and was quite nice. But after having it hacked and everything having to be removed, I was a bit pi$$ed off about having spent the money and we decided to do it all simple and "in house" this time.

It has all been a good education I must say - I never thought that a site like ours would be hacked, but apparently it is just these type of sites that do get hacked - we do not put as much into security as large companies.

It was Google that informed us that the site had been hacked - they had updated every page on the site with some hidden code that redirected the visitor to some site in Russia that downloaded some virus type software onto the visitors computer

The hosting company were quite good and helpful, but to ensure that all changes that had been made by the hackers was removed they wiped everything and put the hosting back to start again. This is where I discovered that they did not offer a back-up service and that if I had actually read the hosting agreement I would have seen that back-up was my responsibility! So we had no back-up that could be uploaded to restore the web site - now we will keep a back up!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #5

As the saying goes "someone with a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous person"!!!

I spent some time last night playing with the site to implement some of the changes that have been recommended, and I was getting rather happy with my progress...

Then today someone pointed out that the site is not looking as it should any more in Internet Explorer I only use FireFox and Google Chrome, so had not even tested it in Internet Explorer.

I have no idea why it is not working the same, and do not even know where to start to fix the problems - so will probably have to remove the background picture and the other stuff that is not working in Internet Explorer - should have just let it be as it was!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:03 AM   #6

Easy fix to that...tell them to update to Firefox, which is a much better browser. I would never would use Explorer or Safari, they just stink. I have Firefox on everything except for my Droid phone...just waiting for the Beta version to be real. Hey, car sites are suppose to have girls, right.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #7

Kroggers - I just sent you a PM re: a security scanning service
Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
Kroggers - I just sent you a PM re: a security scanning service
Cool, thank you. I will have a look during the week

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
Easy fix to that...tell them to update to Firefox, which is a much better browser. I would never would use Explorer or Safari, they just stink. I have Firefox on everything except for my Droid phone...just waiting for the Beta version to be real. Hey, car sites are suppose to have girls, right.
Yes, that would have been an easy fix, but I like to try and do things properly (even when I have no idea what I am doing!).

So after some Google searching, I discovered that the issues I was having could be fixed with some JavaScript and that it was only related to earlier versions of IE. So found an example of the JavaScript included it in the pages and now it should be working fine in IE as well

Hmmm, Girls, Yes! You mean like this advert we did in a publication some years back (before the company part of CoolCava Racing got closed down)?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #9

OK, I think we are done

Took most of the comments and suggestions and worked on the site again. One issue I have discovered is that I have implemented some CSS3 features that is only supported in the recent browser version (IE is the biggest problem!), but we will live with that...

What do you all think now - is this good or is there still things that need to be changed?

By having the site as simple as possible now, we can make it secure by just refreshing the site files every week or so (delete what is on the server and upload the files again - to remove any hacked code). We will also change the passwords more frequently now.