Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #1

Talking New Member here but long term Porsche lover

Hi

I am new here. Always loved Porsches since I was 11 ( guessing) Purchased many books on history of Porsche cars.

Most of my life owned Mustang Gt,s and Mazda Miata,s as they were only sports cars I could afford New.

Now I decided even if I have to buy a used Boxster at least I achieved lifetime dream to own a Porsche ))))) Starting now I am looking for 2005 model (987) in red or yellow and hopefully Porsche Approved.

Dan

roadsterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
Same scenario...

Longtime lover, new owner. Drooling over the marque since the early '80's back in high school.
Got a '00 S back in May. Love it! Got mine stranded in the garage until late April or early May, oh well. I visit it often, sitting in it and making vroom noises. I too owned a 5.0 Mustang GT; from new and had it 23 years and sold it to buy my Boxster.
Good luck with your purchase. Might be slim pickings in Sudbury; I got mine in Toronto. Take your time shopping and get the car you want.
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
recycledsixtie

Garage
Welcome Dan,
Used to own a 99 Miata. Loved it but wanted more car and I got a 2001 Boxster base which I drive year round. Love the car but it being 11 years old I am having to put $$$ into it . I like the way my car is optioned - it has heated seats, air cond. but no remote key entry. Yes, make sure you get the options you want, do lots of reading on the Boxster(rms, ims etc). I would hope the later the model, the less you may have to spend on it as not so much replacement is needed hopefully. Check all receipts on work done . Get a ppi done before committing. Make sure the CEL lite comes on before u start the engine. Be warned you cannot run a Boxster for the same cost as a Miata. This however is the most fun car I have ever owned. Good luck with search. Trust this helps.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

I don't understand how anyone who sees how quickly these cars depreciate would buy a new one. Porsches are evolutionary cars. They slowly change but really there isn't that much difference between a brand new one and a 2 year old one that sells for 2/3 the price. Heck, some of us don't like the new ones as much as the old ones. To me, the oldest Porsche is the most rewarding one to drive.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Matt

I agree with Blue. You can buy used sports cars from every maker for far less even when only one year old. Most Porsche's have very low mileage even after 5-10 years. I don't know what the market is like where you are in Canada, but there are always many in your description in Texas and Florida. Here in Colorado, none.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
Ex Esso kid

Blue is right to a point. Currently, with no cars in production, prices are being artificially inflated. Last night I found 2009 911 's priced at used Boxster S prices. One dealer wants 64k for a spyder with 8k on it that the idiot took the sport seats out of. I realize options change the picture but this unit was spartan, it listed for 61 k on the pcar site, I guess the first owner drives it free!. I will buy a 911 carerra used before I pay 83K for a Boxster spyder, and yeah one dealer wants that. I am confident the new cars will outperform the outgoing even if the changes are small, if a new one in June is the same as a current used S buy IMO it negates some of what blue said, to the Porsche enthusiast who started the thread, welcome!

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote