Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #1

Considering a 2004 Boxster (Putting in an offer today)

Hi everyone first off let me say I am brand new to these forums and have never owned a Porsche before although I hope that changes in the near future. I drove my first Porsche today a used 2004 boxster with 10,000 KM it was brought up to Canada from Cali and is in perfect condition and drives like a dream. With that being said they are asking $54K (canadian $) for it which I think is a bit high. I would prefer to get a car with a factory warranty just in case something major happens to it so I"m looking at 2003/2004 cars. My big question for current owners do any of you who bought the standard boxster wish you had bought a boxster S after the fact? I'm driving a jetta TDI right now so the power increase is HUGE compared to that but I'd like some other opinions as well.

Thanks in advance!

Preston

Last edited by thepress83; 07-31-2005 at 06:04 AM.
thepress83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 03:11 PM   #2

Talking

You are likely to get answers here that are all over the map.

My advice would be to drive both cars several times. Then you can decide how important the S features are to you.

Good luck with your choice!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:04 AM   #3

Considering a 2004 Boxster (Putting in an offer today)

Ok guys the other offer that was on this car fell through so I'm taking the plunge at around noon today I'll be checking the service history (if there is any on a car this new) and making an offer. I'm planning on 53K off the lot as my starting place (including all tax, dealer fees etc.) is that too high or too low any thoughts from the early risers ?
Old 07-31-2005, 06:28 AM   #4

What is MSRP on this specific vehicle?

Old 07-31-2005, 06:49 AM   #5

Back in 2004 when it was new MSRP would have been around the 59-60K in canadian $$ with that price going down with negotiations. Porsche's pricing is also kinda crazy in that it is MUCH cheaper (5-7K) for me to go to the US buy a car in Canadian $ and import it to canada. This car was brought to canada from cali where it was probably purchased for 35K US so at my offer of 53K they are definitely making money. The car is PERFECT not a scratch or chip anywhere on it and it drives like a dream but I'm just a bit worried as I've never owned one before and don't want to get taken for a ride.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:07 PM   #6

I have a "Non-S" 2004 Boxster. I don't regret it at all. I drove a new S the other day and I didn't get a "holy $hit I wish I had this" feeling, but I am sure the stopwatch would tell the difference.

If you plan to have other cars-porsches in your life then everything will be a step up.

I would say the Box is more fun and can be driven faster than many cars with the same HP or 0-60 numbers.

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:12 AM   #7

Talking

Well if it is used, you would need to get a PPI. Then, if you still want to buy the car, use valuation data (Kelly Blue Book or its equiv.) AND market data to find a good range for the price.

Market data is best obtained from online sights such as Auto trader.com etc.

Let me know if you need more info.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepress83
Back in 2004 when it was new MSRP would have been around the 59-60K in canadian $$ with that price going down with negotiations. Porsche's pricing is also kinda crazy in that it is MUCH cheaper (5-7K) for me to go to the US buy a car in Canadian $ and import it to canada. This car was brought to canada from cali where it was probably purchased for 35K US so at my offer of 53K they are definitely making money. The car is PERFECT not a scratch or chip anywhere on it and it drives like a dream but I'm just a bit worried as I've never owned one before and don't want to get taken for a ride.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:52 AM   #8

Thanks for all of the information guys it really made a big difference in my negotiating etc. The dealer basically wouldn't budge a dollar off their sticker price so I walked away from this one, it's a sweet car but I can get one for thousands less that is still in superb condition and that has more of a local history which would make me feel more comfortable.

the search continues ...